We are 219,481 members in 81 forums discussing 155,301 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Itching reconstructed breast

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jul 30, 2009 08:24AM

Daudine wrote:

Hello all,

I had a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy last year (14 months post-op) and one of my breast is itching from the inside and sometime hurts. Is it common?

Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jul 30, 2009 05:41PM Beesie wrote:

Itching can be caused by two things.  First is nerve regeneration, which is a good thing.  Second is phantom itching, which is not such a good thing because there is nothing you can do about it and it might or might not go away.  I have phantom itching.  It's not discussed much by our doctors and it's not written about much in medical journals or articles about side effects from mastectomies, but based on the experiences of the women on this board, it's actually seems to be pretty common.  Mine feels like an itch inside my breast, but that's obviously not possible since all I have inside is an implant.  I also sometimes get aches in my reconstructed breast that feel exactly like my real breast used to feel in the week before my period (I had severely fibrocystic breasts and my breasts would ache a lot). 

All in all, very weird. 

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Jul 30, 2009 07:39PM NativeMainer wrote:

Phantom pain or itching can happen after a mastectomy.  It it gets really bothersome drugs like neurontin (gabapentin) can help.  Most amputees (and women after mastectomies ARE amputees) will have some phantom pain/itching, Like lymphedema it can happen anytime after the surgery, but unlike LE it most often happens within a few years of surgery.  One of the problems with it is that it is impossible to tell if what you are feeling is nerve regeneration or phantom sensations. 

"I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival." Audre Lorde Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/15/2007 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/29/2007 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/10/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/5/2007 Hormonal Therapy 4/25/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/15/2008 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 6/21/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Jul 31, 2009 02:38PM Daudine wrote:

Thank you for your answers girls! I was imagining all sorts of things....cancer growing under the implant, water flowing around the implant.....I will learn to live with it, like the rest ;o)))))

Jul 31, 2009 03:52PM Renata wrote:

I have the itching too , almost everyday, but I thought it was expander related and that after the exchange  I wouldn't get it anymore.... Cry

Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 31, 2009 05:11PM Deirdre1 wrote:

I have had bouts of the itching, and I am very happy to say that I have almost all my feeling back in my breasts (with the exception of the sensual experience of the nipples), so as Beesie stated nerve regeneration.  But I do have some itching that seem impossible to "reach" no matter what I do it feels as though I should be on the inside of the cavity scratching and I believe that to be phantom itching - but I don't get that all the time.. So here's hoping your's is nerve regeneration!!!

Jul 31, 2009 06:50PM rascal_gal wrote:

I've had that itch that you can't find to scratch. Sometimes it feels like my nipples itching which makes me laugh because I know it's not there.

Bilateral Mastectomy w/tissue expanders 33-03-09 /Exhange surgery 7-17-09/ Natrelle Style 20 475 high profile Dx 1/5/2009, DCIS, 4cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes

Sep 4, 2015 02:12AM 01marilyn wrote:

Your comments have helped relieve some of my anxiety. Thank you! However, the intense itching will not let up and now I can't sleep. Two days ago I started physical therapy for reoccurring pain from lumbar fusion surgery done four years ago. The itching in my breast began today and I am wondering if the muscles over the breast implant have been stimulated by the therapy causing the itching. At any rate I have surgery scheduled in two weeks to replace this implant with a smaller one to more closely match my natural right breast. I hope I get some sleep before thenScared

Sep 4, 2015 02:31AM Meow13 wrote:

I have on off itching from my DIEP, it isn't too bad sometimes have to take benadryl

Sep 27, 2015 03:18PM CarolinaAmy wrote:

I've seen a number of comments about itching post-mx, and I'm wondering if this is a permanent side effect for some women? I'm hoping it's the type of thing that would settle down after a couple of years, but I could see that it would drive one crazy if it never let up.

~Zephaniah 3:17~ Discovered on my very first mammogram Dx 7/24/2015, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 9/3/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/18/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)