Join Us

We are 216,717 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: May 25, 2010 04:30PM - edited Feb 15, 2013 05:16AM by val61

val61 wrote:

BRAS.......whether you love themKiss or hate themYell, they are often part of our reconstruction journeys. Whippetmom and I decided to share some information that we discovered throughout our respective journeys through breast reconstruction. There are different practice styles and philosophies among plastic surgeons (PSs), and this extends to their feelings and recommendations about bras after exchange. Some of our PSs have very specific instructions regarding underwire/wireless bras; some say no bra is necessary, and some say nothing on the subject. It seems that a great number of PSs fall in the latter category.

Please note: We are NOT physicians or medically educated....just fellow bc sisters who have researched this subject and want to share what we've learned :)

If you have lymphedema or have been told you are at risk for it, please discuss the issue of bras and supportive breast wear with your physician. Risk factors:

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/lymphedema/risk.jsp

Why would I need a bra after reconstructrion?  To keep those lovely implants where your PS placed themSmile.  Because underwire bras provide such excellent implant support and stabilization (when properly fitted), many plastic surgeons advocate the use of them soon after the exchange surgery. The wire provides "encapsulation" to help prevent implant migration. This was my experience. My PS sent me for a professional bra fitting (at Nordstrom) as soon as the drains were removed. I wore that underwire bra 24/7 (I bought two :) - worn VERY tightly in both band and straps - for the next 3 1/2 months.....yes months! That is the time it generally takes for scar tissue to form the "capsule" around the implant. Until then gravity and arm movements can cause the implants to migrate.

Some have asked if underwire bras could harm the new sutures and pocket work after exchange. While those of you whose incision line is along the IMF (inframammary fold) will likely be unable to wear underwire for awhile, most of us with traditional trans-aerolar incisions will be allowed to wear them. My PS's belief is that an underwire is absolutely necessary to provide adequate support for the implants, as there is little else to support them initially. We need to think about what's supporting our implants. Many of us here have had TE's [tissue expanders], so our implants are essentially held in place by our (often very thin) expanded tissue coupled with the various chest muscles and sutures. (Not the case for those who've had flap procedures.) Eventually (3-4 months according to most PSs) scar tissue forms the capsule, which then adds some additional support. Despite rumors, there is no need to fear about missing the often discussed "drop and fluff" of the implants; wearing a bra will not interefe with that. Even with support from a bra, the implants will settle into the pockets - promise! The degree of "drop and fluff" is greatly influenced by the expansion process (style of TE & fills), so there is a lot of variability among us.

There are some PSs who believe that reconstruction patients need never wear a bra - a topic hotly debated around these forums, for sure. As with much of the reconstruction process, philosophies differ among physicians. There are some PSs (mine included) who feel that reconstructed breasts will ALWAYS need the support of a bra except for short periods. And yes, that includes during sleep - especially in the first several months - perhaps much longer for many of us. Believe it or not, many of us actually discover that it is more uncomfortable to NOT wear a bra :). Gravity is not a friend....to faces, fannies, or foobs!

We realize that not every PS or sister with reconstructed breasts is as "pro-bra" as we are. But for those of you who want to maximize your reconstruction results by minimizing implant migration-and have no contraindicating factors- hopefully this information will be useful. Of course, we want to clarify that the quality of the bra is essential. Not all underwire bras are appropriate for the purpose of encapsulating and supporting the implants on the chest wall. A high quality bra, which uses better fabric and wires in the construction, will provide superior fit and longevity while doing its job of providing proper implant support. Many insurance companies offer coverage for even non-surgical bras, so be sure to check.

What about size? A HUGE question! Sizing is a bit tricky with implants because they are wider and flatter than natural breasts. If you don't have access to a well-trained professional bra fitter (Nordstrom fitters are famous, but many other department stores and small boutiques are good, too), then here's a good place to start:  www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-ad...   Sizing with implants is very much a trial and error process, but this technique is generally pretty darn close.    ***Please note:  These are different from the conventional "just measure around your ribs, then your chest" instructions, but I think they result in a truer measure of size for many people. Implants are much wider and flatter than natural breasts, so sizing is a bit iffy, though the technique described at herroom addresses these issues. Just as with clothes, sizing differs between manufacturers, so be prepared to try lots of bras!

What kind of bra do I need and how should it fit?  Well, the main goal of the bra post-recon is to stabilize the implants both laterally (from the side) and vertically (from the bottom). Some of us may need a bra that also does not allow the implants to move too much toward the center - the dreaded "uniboob." For most of us, though, the main goal is to find a bra that does NOT push the implants out to the side. I can't stress this enough! This is one of the leading reasons for revisions. This can be very difficult to find, especially in a non-wired bra. Be careful of any trim along the center edge of the cups, as even this can push the implants out. The best type of bra is an UNLINED one - yes, no lining or padding at all - because these can interfere with optimal positioning of the implants. Here's the clincher: ideally the band should be extremely tight and the straps pulled as tightly as possible so there is no "vertical play" in the implants. We Americans are all about comfort, and we wear our bras far looser than our European friends! You should initially be "aware" that you are wearing a bra, which is a nice way of saying its going to be snug :). In fitting an underwire bra, be especially careful that the wire completely encapsulates the implants, especially on the outside. The wires should sit just on the outside edge of the implant (under your arm). In the center, be careful that the wires sit slightly AWAY from your chest and don't touch the implants, which could push them to the outside. If the center wires push into the sternum (a common complaint), the cup is too full. If the wires sit more than about 1/4" away from the sternum, the cup is too small. Our upper-pole fullness depends on our implant style. Some bra brands tend to run fuller in the cup than others. The idea is to keep the implants contained in the proper position on the chest wall, and most importantly, to keep them from migrating laterally or medially on the chest wall. If you engage in high-impact exercise (running, aerobics, etc.) the same instructions apply, plus one more: the implants should be held snuggly against the chest with NO BOUNCE! This may require two sports bras - one for encapsulation and one for compression - but it'll be worth it in the end.

Some of our "Bras 101" favorite brands are:

Freya, Fantasie, Chantelle, Marena, Wacoal, Anita, Goddess, and Soma.

Good luck! And remember - this is just ONE point of view!

Some of our favorite bra websites:

http://www.herroom.com/

www.barenecessities.com/

www.biggerbras.com

shop.nordstrom.com/ 

www.brasmyth.com

Thanks for stopping by and checking out our thread!  Hugs!

ValCool

bmx w/ TE's 1/21/09; recon completed 7/9/10. "We must see all scars as beauty, okay?...A scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I SURVIVED!" (excerpted from "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave) Dx 12/19/2008, ILC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 179 of 182 (5,455 results)

Posts 5341 - 5370 (5,455 total)

Dec 19, 2015 07:36AM Golden01 wrote:

Any tried this Chantelle bra? http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-1731-idole-underw...

I prefer 3-part bras but t his one if very pretty!

Mucinous Carcinoma, Hypercellular Variant; Oncotype DX 27, Dx 7/8/2011, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/20/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 19, 2015 10:44AM MinusTwo wrote:

So glad to see there are still occasional postings on this thread. I can no longer indulge since I have truncal LE and wear compression 24/7. But it was such a help when I had my first surgery. Thanks to all of you ladies.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Dec 27, 2015 06:42PM maxdog wrote:

I am just under 2 weeks out from exchange. I have to wear my compression bra 24/7 for 3 weeks, then during the day for 3 weeks. PS said professional fitting after 3 months. I honestly love the compression bras, very comfortable!

39 y.o. dx:4/30/15 IDC. Stage 2A. ER+ PR+ HER-BRCA- 6/30/15 BMX with TE. 7/30/15-start Lupron injections 8/30/15-start Arimidex Oncotype DX 7! triciascancerjourney.blogspot.... Dx 4/30/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 16, 2016 09:59PM Unbreakable01 wrote:

How tight is the band supposed to be on a surgical bra? After surgery I woke up in a 34, normally I'm a 36. It leaves red indentations on me. Is it supposed to be that tight?

My post open instructions are to wear it for the next 4 weeks.

Thanks!

Dx 5/11/2015, IDC: Mucinous, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2015 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/10/2016 Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 8/15/2016 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 17, 2016 09:05AM robinblessed54 wrote:

I was in a surgical bra wrapped in ace bandage for a week after EX. Very tight. After removal had to wear sports bra 24/7 for 6 weeks. Did you get annatomicals or rounds? Annatomicals have to stay put to adhere to muscle and skin to svoid rotation.

Robin

Dx 9/2/2014, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/25/2014 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/15/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2014 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 3/5/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 3/14/2015 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 12/21/2016 Reconstruction (left): Nipple tattoo; Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo

Jan 17, 2016 10:38AM Unbreakable01 wrote:

robinblessed I got anatomicals. Thanks for the info

Dx 5/11/2015, IDC: Mucinous, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2015 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/10/2016 Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 8/15/2016 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 2, 2017 12:10PM coachvicky wrote:

Found this site from another member at another topic.

What a great resource!

Coach Vicky

Dx 6/2016, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 6/7/2016, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/21/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/22/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/20/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 2/22/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 10/19/2017 Targeted Therapy Surgery

Feb 2, 2017 12:20PM MinusTwo wrote:

Vicky - I'm going to post too so it will bump up on the active list. I learned from some really great women here.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 3, 2017 11:24PM whippetmom wrote:

bumping also

DISCLAIMER! Please read my biography under my personal profile. I am not a physician or medical professional. The information provided is my own personal opinion. You must discuss every aspect of your reconstruction with your plastic surgeon. Dx 10/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 3, 2017 11:28PM whippetmom wrote:

bumping also. I exclusively wear Freya, Anita or Chantelle bras. But I have them in every color.

DISCLAIMER! Please read my biography under my personal profile. I am not a physician or medical professional. The information provided is my own personal opinion. You must discuss every aspect of your reconstruction with your plastic surgeon. Dx 10/15/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 4, 2017 10:06AM MinusTwo wrote:

And bumping one more time. I can't imagine how this thread became so inactive since bras (or not) have been so much a part of all of our lives.

Feb 4, 2017 10:15AM coachvicky wrote:

Thank you for the name brands, Whippetmom.

Coach Vicky

Dx 6/2016, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 6/7/2016, LCIS/DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/11/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/21/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 8/22/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/20/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 2/22/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 10/19/2017 Targeted Therapy Surgery

Feb 4, 2017 10:21AM coachvicky wrote:

My husbands laundered and packed away all bras before I came home from the mastectomies in July. I never had to open my undie drawer and see what I would never use again.

The problem I had was how to get dressed! I have been putting on a bra since I was 11 years old. It may seem naive but I was stressed over not having some sort of bra to wear.

I like every thing underneath my clothes to be coordinated and pretty. T shirts just did not cut it. I found some tube tops of Amazon and they worked very well when I had my tissue expanders.

So how long did anyone wait after implant surgery before being measured for new bras?

Coach Vicky

Feb 4, 2017 10:21AM coachvicky wrote:

Great!

Feb 4, 2017 10:25AM MinusTwo wrote:

This isn't sexy, but I wear mild compression 24/7 for truncal & breast lymphadema. I have found a bra that is moderately attractive given the parameters that it must be up high on the back & under your arm pits, and have no constricting places on the lymph flow channels. It has a nice low "V" in the front, and it's very comfortable. Check out the Wear Ease - Sydney Bra. I've even worn my fushia one as a sports top in the pool.

http://www.wearease.com/wear-ease-products/product...

Mar 1, 2017 07:53PM Eschindler wrote:

I just bought this bra from AnaOno, in three colors. AnaOno is a company just for BC survivors.

https://www.anaono.com/collections/bras/products/f...

Just thought I would share.

Mar 2, 2017 04:38PM MinusTwo wrote:

Eschindler - thanks for sharing. Finding something that works for you personally is a huge task. I hope new people to these threads will review some of these posts.

Mar 15, 2017 04:00AM coachvicky wrote:

Saw my Plastic Surgeon on Monday. He recommended that I sleep in some sort of night bra. Because I am a back sleeper he shared that over time my implants could move more to the sides.

Coach Vicky

Mar 15, 2017 01:01PM lala1 wrote:

coachvicky--This is the bra I sleep in....Mastectomy Bra Leisure Size M-A/B Grey at Amazon Women’s Clothing store: Bras. I've been wearing one every night for over 4 years now. I bought my first one from the breast cancer boutique in my surgeon's building. Now I've found them on Amazon. They are amazingly comfortable! And so easy to put on. I do think they run a little larger so I wear the Medium A/B although they thought for sure I'd wear a Medium C/D. i'm a 36C or 34D in bras usually. It also helps me to have a little compression. I'm a side and stomach sleeper but I think these bras have helped to keep my implant in the right place. My PS agrees.

Mentor smooth round high profile memory gel implants 600cc (Left); Allergan 10 Moderate Profile 120cc (Right) ; Oncotype 15 Dx 11/27/2012, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2012 Mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 1/31/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/25/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Surgery 6/24/2014 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction Surgery 1/19/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Mar 15, 2017 08:11PM Keiki wrote:

Walmart is a great source for ugly practical bras. Fruit of the Loom makes a front opening cotton with removable cups. It has one style available slightly longer that helps avoid IMF. Under 10.Google front opening bras at Walmart. Also, cheap plain camisoles to wear under stiff surgical bras with hard scratchy Velcro edges.

I'm 90 days past EX and just bought a night gown with built in soft bra at Walmart. It was sold as a maternity gown, but not too full. Soft and comfy, with some support. Still......gravity prevails.

I'm still on my back, but was a side sleeper until BMX. Anyone have experience with "bosom buddies" or similar tiny pillows for between or around to cushion and control boobs? I'm going to be experimenting and will post in.

Dx 5/26/2016, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+ Surgery 8/21/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/14/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 16, 2017 02:48AM - edited Mar 20, 2017 01:40AM by coachvicky

lala1

Thank you so much. I will check out the site you posted.

I appreciate your help.

Coach Vicky

Mar 19, 2017 06:32PM Imkopy2 wrote:

Looking for advice from anyone who has had their exchange.

I am 11 days post op and my incisions sit just below the IMF because my PS was concerned the incision may not heal properly because of rads. Any sports bra or compression bra sits on my incisions and is so uncomfortable and pinches. Any thoughts on what I can wear I am supposed to be wearing something 24/7...any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

Hugs!

If it doesn’t challenge you it won’t change you Dx 3/7/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 4/13/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/23/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 10/23/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/25/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 9/26/2017

Mar 20, 2017 01:44AM coachvicky wrote:

I bought some tube tops off Amazon. Not great support but my incisions were not an issue with the tops. Worked well until I healed up.

The tape was the worse for me! I asked my Nurse if I could use a Carefree type pad and put the adhesive side to the bra. She thought it was a great idea.

Coach Vicky

Mar 20, 2017 03:15PM 2FUN wrote:

keiki, I am new to all of this, but I am a PT, and we do a lot of positioning. For orthopedic problems we tell people to use washcloths rolled up, or socks in a tube shape and pUT them where you need support. I would think you could use the same idea to help position your breasts. Sorry I'm not any more help! Good luck!

Hormonal Therapy Surgery

Mar 20, 2017 05:12PM Imkopy2 wrote:

thank you ladies I will give it a try. This morning I put on a cami and then put the bra over it, not the sexiest look but it did the job just fine lol!

If it doesn’t challenge you it won’t change you Dx 3/7/2016, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 4/13/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/23/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 10/23/2016 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/25/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/8/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 9/26/2017

Mar 22, 2017 06:18AM smilethrupain wrote:

since most of us here on the thread have or will have implants , this is worth a read

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/health/breast-implants-cancer-deaths.html?emc=edit_tnt_20170322&eml_thmb=1&nlid=4086987&tntemail0=y&_r=1&referer=

Dx 07/2016 aged 40, multifocal IDC 1.2 cm & DCIS, er/pr+, her- ; left mastectomy 08/2016, 0/3 nodes, TE reconstruction, oncotype dx 29. TC chemo starting 9/2016. Dx 7/1/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement

Mar 22, 2017 05:24PM Imkopy2 wrote:

smilethru- I saw that sigh

Mar 23, 2017 07:53AM - edited Mar 23, 2017 07:54AM by coachvicky

• Thank you for the link, Smilethrupain.

Coach Vicky

Mar 23, 2017 11:53AM moodyblues wrote:

what does drop and fluff mean exactly?

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 3/31/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Mar 24, 2017 04:01PM coachvicky wrote:

MoodyBlues,

Ask Whippetmom. She under the implant community page. She has a great understanding.

Coach Vicky

Page 179 of 182 (5,455 results)