Topic: Unhappy with areola tattoo--what can be done??

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Oct 17, 2011 07:54AM

Posted on: Oct 17, 2011 07:54AM

beasgirl wrote:

I am about 4 years out from my unilateral mastectomy/DIEP reconstruction, and just had a nipple constructed this spring. The nipple looked fantastic. I had my areola tattooed last week, by a highly recommended tattoo artist/permanent make-up person--and I am so far unhappy with the result. She made it dark around the outside to "give it dimension", but it looks very strange, not at all like the other side, and she made it a sort of lop-sided shape to "match" the other side, but to me it just looks wonky. Both of these problems seem like I will be stuck with them. I know it's trivial compared to most problems around here, but it's really bothering me--I waited so long, and it was all looking so good, and now it seems like I am stuck with a weird looking nipple!! Has anybody been though this? Can anything be done? Should I go back to the tattoo lady, or ask the ps?

"I suspect that cancer doesn't give a rat's ass whether you have a positive mental attitude. The only reason to have a positive mental attitude is that it makes life better. " --Molly Ivins Dx 8/1/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 4 of 4 (36 results)

Nov 21, 2011 06:07PM kar123 wrote:

Another option could be a skin graft.  When I had my nipples reconstructed, the PS took skin grafted from my inner thigh used it as the areols.  Pinked up nicely on their own.  I may need to get a little color on the actual nipple, but I am happy with the areola color.  I also din't have to worry about the 3d effect.  It looks very real.

Dx 6/2010, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/27/2010 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 11/16/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 1/23/2011 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 4/3/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/30/2013 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 19, 2012 07:07PM Stix wrote:

Has anybody used Vinnie Myers for  tattooing or color correction? 

thanks

stix Dx 1/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 4/8/2010 Mastectomy: Right Surgery 8/15/2010 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/30/2013 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery 9/11/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 7/29/2014 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 1/11/2015 Reconstruction (left)

Aug 24, 2012 04:40AM - edited Aug 24, 2012 04:41AM by Stix

Hi everyone-

I had color correction and reshaping  done by vinnie. Just waiting for it to settle so I can see the final color results- I may need another visit- he mentioned to me it may take a couple of visits when I sent him pictures way back .I will keep you posted. The shape  looks better so far.  I should have started with him but the NP seemed so confident that it was going to look great when she was done. And, I never knew someone could screw up a tattoo -  Actually, she is not a NP- they call her a NP- but, she is a nurse clinician-so I found out through paperwork that she signed-unless she  signed her CNS credential- but forgot to sign the NP credentials.  But, going through NP school is tough-so, it is unlikely that she forgot the credential after that uphill battle of the  NP school.

My question is: Why aren't people getting mad about these people in the PS doing sub-standard work?  Why are we as BC survivors  letting this go on?  Is there a state tattoo board that I can make a complaint with? Any suggestions would be helpful Thanks!

Thanks

Vicki

stix Dx 1/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 4/8/2010 Mastectomy: Right Surgery 8/15/2010 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right) Surgery 4/30/2013 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Surgery 9/11/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 7/29/2014 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 1/11/2015 Reconstruction (left)

Apr 22, 2018 08:38PM Hopefloats41725 wrote:

How do you get ahold of Earleen? i had mine done twice and twice they wouldnt talk ink. The insurance paid the first time and I paid the second time. Never have they showed color, just scars. On top of that the scars are offset. Hate my boobs. Ive been living like this and ashamed since 2010. The breast surgeon even cut the bilaterals in an offset manner. The left incision is horizontally scarred and the right (that wasnt even cancerous) wa sliced and cut diagnally! Then my implants are not big enough the skin is wrinkled over while I am in an up position. Very sad about my breast. Tulsa, Oklahoma

Dx 12/12/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage II, 3/20 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Apr 22, 2018 09:40PM specialk wrote:

hope floats - http://www.ashevillepermanentmakeupclinic.com/

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

May 27, 2022 11:22PM fluffqueen01 wrote:

hi Amy, I liked your question about the PS. My guy was the first to tell me that he was not an artist. He did a great nipple, that has flattened some over the years. I let him do the tatoo and it was pretty ok, but it had been 8 years and I want to go to Vinnie to fix the fading.

Also, my PS told me he had a breast cancer patient whose husband was a tatoo artist. When he say the equipment they used he was appalled. Said a tatoo artist tools are way bette

BMX 2/10 w/TE Taxol 12 wkly/herceptin- 1 yr/ Tamoxifen now. TE’s fail/TE’s back in.  Implants 11/11- perky!" tatoo touchup remains. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato Targeted Therapy 3/12/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Page 4 of 4 (36 results)

Scroll to top button