Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

itching under implant

Options
1965sally
1965sally Member Posts: 29
edited April 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Does anyone else get a lot of itching under/around a silicone implant - one year out?  Should I worry about it?  How would I know if this thing starts to leak, anyway?  Thanks very much!

Comments

• DocBabs
    DocBabs Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2012
    Options

I had some itching sporadically in the first few months after my exchange and it generally lasted for just a very short time.However, these past 2-3 months the itchiness has increased and no matter how much I scratch I just can't seem to get the spot.I' m really hoping that it doesn't get any worse as I truely think it could drive me crazy!!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited March 2012
    Options

When in doubt - call the doc - no sense waiting and worrying - not when you've been through bc - truly- call your doc - I bug mine when something lasts long enough to catch my attention

• 1965sally
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks for replying.  I will call.  My PS and nurse are so super-positive I have a feeling they'll say it's perfectly normal, so I really do wonder what others experience. 

DocBabs, how long since your exchange?  Mine was a year ago.  I remember having itching at first, for a while, which I figured was nerves healing.  This feels different because I had no itching or discomfort for so long and now suddenly it reappears.  It is no longer so strong as the day I posted this, though.  I only feel it when I think about it or move the implant around.  Still, I can't help but worry.

• Survivorwoman
    Survivorwoman Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sally - I do get the itchy feeling under my implant, too. I also got a bit of a rash over my "implanted' breast at the moment, and not so much between the ribs and the implant, but I know what you are talking about. I think it has to do with nerve healing. Let me know what your doctor says. I am curious, too. Oh....and the same here. I had my mx over a year ago, so it is puzzling.

• 1965sally
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi Survivor.  I finally called the Plastic surgeon's nurse, described it to her, she described it to the PS, then told me what he said.  I may go in to be reassured by being examined, but it sounded to them like I'm feeling some scar tissue around the edge of the implant that's tickling nerves.  Best I can tell it feels like a "ridge" rather than a "bump", and there's no pain, swelling, or rash or any other symptom the nurse asked about.  She said maybe the scar tissue is more noticeable now, a year out, because there's absolutely no more post surgery swelling in there. 

Come to think of it, I had a tickly feeling in my chest before the reconstruction (I delayed recon by 2 yrs), and had an ultrasound on my chest because of that.  They found nothing, but it makes me want to get those records and check if this tickle is in the same area that that was.  I'll call the breast surgeon as well and see what they think.

Have you had your rash checked out?  

I felt better after talking to the nurse, like it's not urgent, but I know, knowing me, I'm probably not going to be completely relaxed until I get an ultrasound or MRI or something. 

• ElenaMarie62
    ElenaMarie62 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    Options

Nothing more annoying than an itch that you can't scratch. I have been almost a year since my implants were done, and every so often, I also have an itchiness underneath the skin, that feels like it needs to be scratched, but then when I go to scratch the outside of the 'foob', I am totally numb on both of them. So, the itch stays, and I just have to wait, hope and pray that the itchiness goes away, which it usually does in a matter of a few minutes. 

I wonder if it is almost like 'phantom' itching? As if we should be able to scratch it, but it sure doens't do any good.

It is the little things like this, that are hard to describe to others, including the doctors. I think unless you have been there, and had the same experience, it is hard to comprehend what we are feeling.

Oh well, just another day in the life of living with something none of us ever wanted to go through. I go and see my PS next week, if I get over this FLU I have right now. If I find out any amazing information, I will post it here. :) 

• mrsnjband
    mrsnjband Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2012
    Options

I've had twitching under the foob so it is probably a nerves healing.  They take a long time. But better to be safe than sorry. NJ

• 1965sally
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thank you, Elena and Norma.  Phantom itching makes sense to me.  It just seemed odd to me that it started so late (4 yrs after mastectomy, 1 yr after implant) - seems like if the brain was confused it would have been confused from the get-go! 

I can kind of scratch my itch, actually, by moving the implant around.  It is very hard to pinpoint where it is, and yes, very hard to describe.  It kind of feels like a hair tickling inside my bra- if only I could find it and get it out!  It seems to be worse when I lean forward, for some reason.

Yes, if you learn anything, please share.  Good luck with the flu!

• ElenaMarie62
    ElenaMarie62 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks, Sally! This Flu is horrible. Have been sick all week, and no one of course wants to get around me, which I don't blame them. 

I think I hate the numbness when I go to scratch the outside of the foob. It is that kind of feeling as if you put on an ice cube for ten minutes, and made the area numb.

Oh, I know what you mean about the hair tickling inside the bra. That is sure annoying too!  

• 1965sally
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi all.  Small update:  my PS said over the phone that what I described sounded likely to be scar tissue around the edge of the implant, tickling my nerves.  I was reassured for a few weeks, didn't even bother to go see him for examination.  Finally decided to go see my breast surgeon to ask for some kind of imaging or something; can't get in til June 1st.  As the itching is driving me crazy tonight, I sure am glad I made the appt.  There's not supposed to be any breast tissue left, but the itching seems worse before my period, and that seems to indicate breast tissue cells or something responsive to estrogen, somehow. 

• terimccollum
    terimccollum Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi- i had double mastectomy last oct and lots of itching. Then i finally got my implant exchange in March. It is now 15 July and i am having incredible itching this morning. The only thing i am trying is ice pack wrapped in a bag and applied to breast.

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2015
    Options

yes the itching goes on for a while but eventually it is much less and you just get used to it.. It's annoying if anything.

Lately I have, as Sally mentioned above.I am almost 4 yrs post op silicone breast reconstruct Bilateral, with Right side being the good side. Lately my right side I have been feeling fluttering across front of the breast where incision is, and when I use that arm, I feel a crawling type feel with an achy feel all over. I don't have pain no redness no swelling. I push on the side of my breast in one area and feel like something is scratching me from the middle. I think it's scar tissue on the edge,

• 1965sally
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm back on the forums after 10 years, re-reading things I posted, and in case someone new comes on this thread looking for answers I thought I would share how things are now. I did get an expensive MRI in 2012 which revealed no problems at all. The itching eventually stopped. It's been years and years since I felt any.

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited April 2022
    Options

Thanks for the update, Sally.