Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Moving On......After the Flap

Options
nihahi
nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
edited September 2017 in Breast Reconstruction

Welcome all, to the "lounge" for ladies who have had flap reconstruction, and are finding that their days are becoming more about life in general, as opposed to flap recon, 24/7. This is not an exclusive place....you don't have to be a certain "variety of flap", you don't have to be completely done with all the stages of recon. You will most likely be happy here, if like me, you are over the initial "stuff", and want to turn your energy into moving forward on the adventure called "life". I hope the ladies joining the discussion, feel comfortable sharing the hopes, laughs, questions, fears and tears that make up life, the "magic" that holds friends together, knowing that we all also "get it"..like no one else can. 

I hope we can keep this thread as a place to take a deep breath, and be able to stay in touch.....moving on with life.

Thanks Nerdy

Countdown to W3 gathering at Mt.Hood

Comments

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi, thanks for starting this thread. I, too, have been feeling the need to move on to life after flap. Had my uni-DIEP flap last fall & 2 successful stage 2's this year. Love my flap & my flat tummy! I will be done after my fipple is tattooed this December. Life is good & I'm ready to get on with it!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013
    Options

Dear Nihahi,

Thanks for starting this lounge, as Sbel called it. I do want to move on too now, and turn my energy to life after the flap.

Sharon, I have to say that life has been really good to me too. Had DIEP in May, no complications, back to exercise, and living a full life again. My PS office called here this week, and I will be seeing her in January to discuss nipple recon and whatever else will be necessary. This will be my final surgery. I've also been struggling for the longest time to lose a little weight, and had become quite desperate, blaming Tamoxifen - so convenient - lol. Wanted my butt and hips to fit in with the flat tummy. Since I got a pedometer from DH for my birthday at the end of July I've lost 8 lbs. So everything's right in my world again, and Tamoxifen was not the culprit after all.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi, sisters!  I found the door, let myself in, and brought some nice cabernet to share!

Lovely break. Gotta get back to work.  

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited October 2013
    Options

Cheers, nihahi, Sharon, liefie, and sbe!

Are we walking or running? Either way, I am ready to go forward...

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013
    Options

Thanks for thinking of this Nihahi!  Great idea.  Getting on with life is a good thing.

• Morningsun1
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am going to Erie to play in a bridge tournament this weekend.

• sweetpickle
    sweetpickle Member Posts: 185
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hola chicas! :-) Thanks for starting this thread Nahahi! Im just waiting on stage two then Ill be done, done, done.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013
    Options

We are going to a Downton Abby dinner next week and I am making a 1929 silk crepe slip to go under a 1919 Vionnet bias dress.  This is the first time I have sewn for me for many years.  Now with a bustline that is to up under my chin and my tummy gone, I am looking forward to this!

• Morningsun1
    edited October 2013
    Options

Post a picture, when you finish, Marty.

• liefie
    edited October 2013
    Options

Funny how we are inspired to sew again after many years. In my case it is a baby blanket for my first grandchild that will be born in March. Will see my daughter next weekend, and want to surprise her. Yours sounds fancy, Marty! Picture will be good.

Enjoy the bridge, Tammy.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Tammy....wave to Jamestown for me, ok??? Forward motion today for me was running on the treadmill and pedalling the bike in our condo gym. Not smart enough to play bridge...!

Liefie...how are you finding the new exercise "beast"???? Fallen off yetLaughing! Is your daughter coming out for a visit??? You better not ever come anywhere near here, and not connect with me!!!!

marty...that outfit sounds gorgeous!!!! I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't watch Downton Abbey. I keep meaning to catch up on the previous seasons....always too busy. hmmm.....since I've seen a few cars today with snow on top of their roofs, maybe soon I'll have time on my hands!

hola back at you Sweet!!!!

sbe....red wine gives me headaches....I'm putting out a bottle of white!

LOVE YOU LADIES.....

• goodie
    goodie Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi - thank you so much for starting this thread!  I'm trying to move forward too!  I'm starting a new job on Monday!  I haven't worked full time in almost 17 years!  It's like 16 years and 11 months.  LOL  I became a stay-at-home mom when my son was born.  I did some substitute teaching before "this" happened to me but I just didn't want to go back to that after all this.  

Tammy - I'm trying to get back into my interval jog/walk routine.  It's been 4 weeks since my 2nd surgery and I just need to get back jogging.  PS said 6 weeks but I'm taking it slow for now.

Marty - the dress sounds beautiful and what a fun party!

Liefie - good for you with the pedometer.  I blamed treatment and tamoxifen for not being able to lose last few pounds.  Then I pushed my exercise (jog/walk) and made it more consistent and I really watched what I ate (sounds like weight watchers LOL) and it works.  Or at least it did for me too.

sbe - I can sip a tiny bit of red but I prefer my riesling.  I'll share mine too!

• liefie
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi, will try the beast out for the first time tonight. Will put the dog's big pillow behind me on the floor in case it bucks me off - lol - will keep you posted. Defo going to Edmonton - mission is to help groom and best man buy suits for the wedding. Can't let them loose on their own for that. Will defo let you know if Calgary is on the cards too.

Goodie, good for you! We'll motivate each other.

Love this thread already.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nice to see so many of you already on this new thread. I think I am many months off from being finished so will be going into 2014 being under "construction".

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2013
    Options

Done here too. Very tired this week. Stress related. Found doc in texas who will scan me upside down. Do tumor markers etc. Much more aggressive than my old MO. Sleep has been difficult this week. Otherwise joined new gym. Been doing the classes. Been feeling great.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi..save some white for me! And I have never watched Downton Abbey, either! Hi y'all....great thread Nihahi!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

goodie...what kind of work will you be doing?? Hopefully something that helps you bounce out of bed with a smile on your face!

bailey...I will ALWAYS make sure some of the "bevvie" is set aside for you!!!

fredntan....I've recently started taking 3mg of melatonin, about 1/2 hour before I go to bed....it is incredible, how much better I am sleeping....after YEARS...DECADES.... of poor sleep. If you haven't tried it before, maybe it would help you too.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'll be enjoying red, white or a margarita with you guys but I'm only having a glass twice a week these days! But I'll be here, probably eating dark chocolate.

I don't feel like I'm moving on yet, feel a bit stuck, but you will inspire me, I'm sure....

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

jeannie...we're here, for the times when you just need a break from "flapperworld". Dark chocolate RULES!!!!!

• sweetpickle
    edited October 2013
    Options

So I bought a gnome today and named him chester, thinking of changing his name to Wilber though....lol

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013
    Options

I want to name something Wilbur! Maybe my car, a plant, my dog's middle name.....my wine glass!

• sweetpickle
    edited October 2013
    Options

Wilber would be a great dog name! OK, its official Chester is now Wilber in honor of you Miss Jeannie :-)

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013
    Options

Bailey, what on earth did you do on your chemo down days if you don't watch Downton Abbey?  Both my sister and I would sleep through episode after episode while we let the chemo cotton-brain wear off.  

My favorite now is "Call the Midwife."  Another PBS show.  Outstanding.

• goodie
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi - I thought I was going to be doing sales admin support  - researching companies and potential clients and then maybe getting into sales.  Now I think I may be doing something more of that and running their office.  We'll see.  It was supposed to be 28 hours a week (Tues, Wed, Thurs, and half day Fri) but now it seems like it will be full time right away.  My prior work experience is more in finance and analysis but I'm open to anything right now.  Yes, I hope I bounce out of bed with a smile on my face to go to work.  If not, I'll find something that will do that for me!

I swear by melatonin too!  Along with dense breasts and stress I think the sleep or lack there of was a major contributor to my bc.  I was a horrible sleeper!  I also take melatonin now and I sleep very well now!  

Jeannie - you are moving on being here!  I kind of feel stuck too.  I will still follow the diep thread for awhile because unfortunately I'm pretty sure I will have another tweak surgery to my right foob.  I think it kind of fell or something.  It's not shaped right.  I don't see my PS until the 29th and I really don't even want to consider fixing it until the spring if not later.  I just need a break.

Hmm - what to name Wilber????  It's got to be something special!!!!

• Tracy516
    Tracy516 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hello ladies! 7 weeks out today!!!! Yeah!! I feel emotional good and the next few months are planned out!

I just woke up with numb arms!!!!!!!! Ugh I don't know what's going on but at 3am I'm not happy!!! They don't look swollen but they are cold!!

A wine glass named Wilbur? Great idea!!! Lol

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hiya ladies, I'm joining this party!! I went into "trying to keep up with lurking" mode on the DIEP 2013 thread, so thanks Nihahi for starting this thread! Yay for Downton Abbey dinners. That show kept occupied after the DIEP surgery (so I didn't think too too much about things).

I'm almost 7 months after my first DIEP and 3 months after Stage 2, and while things aren't exactly perfect, I'm content to move on at this point (heck I wasn't perfect to begin with anyways! :) )

I've gotten into fostering dogs and my current two are pains in my rear end, but make up for it by being so darn cute. I've been at home this week with all the government shutdown crap that's been going on, so I need to work on house stuff. However, after reading this thread, I may have a glass of wine with the hubby tonight! :). Have a great day everyone!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Frost on all the rooftops this morning...temp of -3..brrrrr. OK, seriously, today I have GOT to find the boxes with the winter clothes. We live in a condo, so I have gotten pretty efficient at purging and rotating things. It'll be interesting to see how last years winter clothes fit now! 

marty...I've now had 3 yoga/pilates classes. I rarely can feel my core muscles working (unless I keep my hands on my lower tummy, and sometimes not even then), but walking to my car after class....oh yeah, I can tell I've done something....are you still working with your trainer???

OK ladies....I am now into week 2 of this stupid cold...it's better, but won't completely let go...anyone have any suggestions that work for them?????

Cuetang....what kind of work do you do?? I have a cousin who lives in Richmond, but she is a banker, and her husband works for a spice company...can't remember the name.

• goodie
    edited October 2013
    Options

nihahi - wow, that's pretty cold.  I don't want to think about rotating clothes yet.  It's always a chore.  I need two full size closest!  LOL  Maybe I should kick my DH out of his third!  My DD swears by loads of vitamin C when she gets a cold.

• MartyJ
    edited October 2013
    Options

Nihahi - trainer was really expensive - $240 for 8 sessions, so I am seeking other options.  Need to get back to it, but strangely I again have 8 weeks til my last surgery.  I gotta find a way to self motivate!  You have 3 deg and I don't have "winter" clothes.  Every 5 years we go to Colorado in Oct or November - that is about as cold as I get.

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013
    Options

Good morning, sisters!  It's not cold here but the WIND is about to blow the roof off.  We go through this every fall, and I hate wiind.  

I so need to figure out how to cross-train a little.  Every muscle used in riding a bicycle is toned up and plenty strong, but the other ones just hang there cheerfully and go along for the ride.  I don't think my core muscles are as supportive as they need to be.

Gotta go chase the garbage cans down the street.  Sheesh.