Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pictures of Breast Reconstruction

moderators
moderators Posts: 7,808
edited July 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

We thought it might be helpful for members considering different types of reconstruction to see our page from the main Breastcancer.org site: Pictures of Breast Reconstruction

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

Comments

• kmahalick
    kmahalick Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2015

Wow, I wished mine looked so good.

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288
    edited August 2015

yes, these after photos look good. Mine are flatter and wrinkly on the lower part. Look good in clothes/symmetrical but odd looking in various positions..,

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited August 2015

I'm with you Lisa. I think the surgeons use their very best outcome cases for their marketing pics. In certain circumstances a good outcome can happen, but a full mx w/ rads.... Not so much.

I would like to see pics that depict a more realistic outcome for a lot of us.

• jojo2373
    jojo2373 Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2015

I think I am happy you are showing the best outcomes, but unfortunately my bco sisters do not share such perfect results.

• kmahalick
    edited August 2015

It's wonderful for women to hope for a great outcome after hearing a diagnosis which will remove some or all of their body but I think we also need to know that what you are showing is not representative of all cases. I believe we can handle the reality of what reconstruction really looks like for so many of us on this forum. So many are searching for answers as to why they don't look like these outcomes, I was one. I looked at so many sites and felt so betrayed that my reconstruction did not look like the pictures I saw. Please post more from some of your members who have less than optimal results.

• RosieMjdtrt
    RosieMjdtrt Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2015

I am 9 days post op. I was hoping this would show full process photos. Women should be assured that what they see post op may be scary now but won't be after expanders come out and implants put in. Or after each fill, you can see improvement. I look down and see frankenboobs at the moment. I also cannot stand that my former DDs no longer hide my protruding stomach. Does anyone know of any bloggers that documented their progress from start to finish

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2015

I had great results, but now see flat spots. I think I need more fat grafting. Beginning to think reconstruction needs fixing every few years. I hate the idea of constant maintenance and the dreaded garment.

• RosieMjdtrt
    RosieMjdtrt Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2015

Had my first fill... 120 ccs in each. Still doesn't improve the loose skin and thick scars. Dr keeps reassuring me everything will be fine after 2nd surgery

• philomene
    philomene Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2015

It's problematic to me that all these photos are from one surgical center in New Orleans (one that doesn't accept most insurances at that) and all DIEP reconstruction. It's basically an advertisement for NOLA, and not very helpful for women dealing with reconstruction issues.

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited August 2015

I want to add that my reconstruction looked lovely, almost perfect however they hurt like hell and after two years I had them removed. The aftermath isn't great but 75% of the pain is gone and to me QOL is more important than looks. I wish all you ladies much luck with excellent results.

Amy

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2015

Amy, I agree looking great is wonderful but not worth pain. I haven't had pain after my diep but I am sick of more maintenance surgery to keep it up.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,830
    edited August 2015

As with anything else that is being sold, buyer beware.

• SugarCakes
    SugarCakes Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2015

the website Real Self has some good pictures showing realistic photos at various stages. There is also a picture site that members from here started. I began posting pics there, but am behind in updating. Had NSBMX on July 7 with TEs filled to 250cc. Healed for about 3 weeks and then had three weekly fills of 75, 100, and 100cc. Only the last fill to 525cc total resulted in discomfort in my chest and back. TEs are hard as boulders! But actually look good in my bra and clothing. Will exchange for implants on September 9th. Heal 2 to 3 weeks and then start radiation. I will continue to take pictures. It has been hard to find pictures for my particular set of circumstances. Praying radiation is not too hard on the implant. PS says fat injectingis an option for necessary fixes.

• kmahalick
    edited September 2015

I also found that Vinnie Myers who does nipple tattoos has posted some of the portfolio of the work they have done over the last 12 years. This provides a good overview which I wish I had had access to back in 2012.

• rebecca54
    rebecca54 Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2015

What do people think of the tear drop vs regular implants? I like the concept of the tear drop shape but they feel heavy and I wonder about the ripples showing. Also will the regular look "tear droppy" since placed under the muscle?

I told my PS I wanted tear drop and am now rethinking it and surgery date is 10/7 so guess I need to decide!

Appreciate your wisdom!

xo

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 815
    edited September 2015

I have an appointment with my PS tomorrow to talk about nipple reconstruction. I don't know that I want another surgery just to have a nipple. I'm about to turn 55 and have been married for 32 years. I could always go see Vinnie when he is in N'awlins. We haven't been there in almost 30 years!

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64
    edited September 2015

Rebecca, I would request to feel both types. When I was going through recon a few years ago, the tear drops were kind of firm so I opted for the regular old rounds, and frankly even they feel firm to me.

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    edited October 2015

Except for a scar that didn't fade too well and will be dealt with soon, I think that my LD reconstruction looks much better than those photos - considering all the issues I had with it it's amazing, really.And I can say that once I lost the weight that I had put on during treatment, the lump under the arm went away almost completely also - I have 10 more lbs to lose and I'm sure that by the end of it it will be completely gone.

I would still not recommend the type of reconstruction I had to anybody. The surgeon, maybe. He's definitely a perfectionist.

I'm posting a pic, no face, and I'm wearing one of those tank-tops but you can surely figure out what I'm talking about. My phone-holding arm is squishing a little one of the foobs because of the position, but you can still get a good idea. They look and feel as the breasts I had when I was 16, only quite bigger, so at 54 y.o. it feels really good, talking self-image. There is also the fact that when I lost weight, I gained cup size as these don't shrink.

• MLmom
    MLmom Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2015

thanks for your post and picture, I am 43 and my PS wants to do a LD and reading other posts I was starting to worry... Did you do the reconstruction at time of mastectomy? Thank

• leftduetostupidmods
    edited November 2015

Yes, immediate reconstruction. I had a lot of issues and am disabled now. You might want to look down this forum for the "possible complications from LD" thread I posted. I don't advise you to do it.

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited November 2015

Have you looked into DIEP? I had two infections after tissue expanders (trying to do implants) and the doc recommended the LD flap. The more I looked into it, the more concerned I became, so I went back to see my breast surgeon to talk about options. He had me see a surgeon who specialized in DIEP. I had to travel to another city (1.5 hours), but I am so glad I did!

The DIEP is a much better reconstruction option. You need to find a doc who does a lot of them (at least 1/week) so you will likely need to travel to a larger medical center, but it is well worth it. Check out the DIEP 2014 or DIEP 2015 forum. I learned a ton there and am ready to get mine on December 10!

• leftduetostupidmods
    edited November 2015

BigSister, who are you recommending DIEP to?

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited December 2015

Seachain, I think I was responding to MLmom since she wasn't sure if the lat flap was such a good idea.

• leftduetostupidmods
    edited December 2015

Ah. thank you.

• jenkin
    jenkin Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2015

Hello everyone. I am reaching out because I have a plastic surgery consult next week. Briefly: bilateral mastectomy, tissue expanders, and implants 2008. Due to other health concerns (my own and members of my family) I never revisited improvements to the basic surgery until now. (Possible capsular contraction on left side.)

Pls talk to me about nipple recon. I cannot get my head around why I might want to get faux nipples that would be permanently erect, and forever without sensation. I can understand the initial appeal of the "trompe l'oeil" but all the energy put toward this outcome? A little lost about that. I am divorced, early 50s, and would like to actively date but haven't yet. Will this help when I might want to reveal myself to a man?

Thank you for your insight and help, and hoping you are well.

signed, Raggedy Jen

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited December 2015

Jen, you may not want to do nipple recon. It was very easy & not much recovery, the surgery was done with local, my PS & I chatted about gardening etc. I had to keep little nipple gauzes on them for a couple of weeks til they healed. I do not have headlights, they were very large (horrifying so) at first, but settled down nicely, I will never have feeling anywhere up there. Then I had them tattooed. I never have to wear a bra & they look completely natural.

I went a year without having it done but hated the whole "Barbie boob" look, it annoyed me. So I took the time & energy to do it. But if you're happy the way you are, then why put yourself through it. You can always change your mind & have it done later, or just have 3D tattoos done. Good luck! GG

• Leslie13
    Leslie13 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2016

Like searchin, I went straight to implant with a nipple sparing BMX. My results are really good and I have full feeling in one breast. I'm 8 weeks out and still have pain. I'm treated for chronic pain, as I have severe arthritis in my back and hip so that may make it easier for me. My right hip needs replacement and left already is, so other body parts are screaming louder.

So I may not be the best judge of how uncomfortable this surgery is. The first 3 weeks were hardest, and starting water exercise really helped with strength and flexibility. And Foobs are certainly easier to adjust to than an artificial joint!

• Unbreakable01
    Unbreakable01 Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2015

I had a single mastectomy with the tissue expander, my exchange surgery is in January. In the beginning my boob was quite deformed and deflated. Slowly but surely after the fills it started to look normal. It looks good right now, nice and full, slightly larger than my other one and just a scar. I'm impressed with the work that the plastic surgeon did.

I have a timeline photo on my Fb page so others could see what the process is like.

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited December 2015

Hi and thank you all for sharing your experiences. Initially it looked like I was going to escape mastectomy, but the surgeon has not been able to clear the margins, and the ILC is multi-focal, so I am facing a mastectomy (right side only). I will see the PS in January to discuss options. My surgeon suggested that there would likely be a reduction needed on the left in order to achieve balance. I hate the thought of messing with the left breast for purely cosmetic reasons, but I guess the alternative is worse aesthetically. I was wondering if there are cases where expanders are not used and just an implant is used? Do folks have experience with scar tissue affecting the implant (look, feel, position) over time? Also, any experiences with saline vs silicon implants?

• lemint
    lemint Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2015

Hi Stellamaris, I initially was supposed to have an immediate reconstruction after my mastectomy which was on October 29th. Once my biopsy had a positive lymph node everything changed for me. Not only did I have to have a MX but also chemo and radiation. I have to wait 4 to 6 months after radiation is done for my exchange surgery. I now have the TE in and just finished my final fill Wednesday. I dont see why you couldn't go straight into an implant as long as you don't need radiation. Welcome, sorry you have to be here but we are all together in this. ((()))