Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Immediate reconstruction minus nipples

Options
IBJUSTFINE67
IBJUSTFINE67 Member Posts: 12
edited September 2019 in Breast Reconstruction

Having a hard time finding anyone who has gone through this specifically. I am 3 weeks post op from having a bilateral mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction. I chose also to have my nipples taken off. The implants are done a newer way where they put them over your pec muscles. I am very pleased with how they look but would love to find someone out there that had this exact procedure done. Even though I got to avoid multiple surgeries and expanders, the way my skin still feels is like having a Braxton hix contraction 24/7. When does this subside? Thanks warriors!!!

Comments

• MBPooch
    MBPooch Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi there! I had this exact same procedure done almost 2 years ago. I don't recall having a lot of zapping or tightness but I will say every once in a while there is still some aching, especially if I work out too hard or do something strenuous and for some reason more so on my cancer side than non cancer side. I'm still super happy with the results and feel fortunate to have been able to avoid expanders and a second surgery. Hope your recovery continues to go well for you!

• IBJUSTFINE67
    edited September 2019
    Options

Oh, thank you so much for responding so soon. I am so glad you are doing well♡ My breast surgeon was torn I know btwn the 345ccs he gave me or to put a size a bit smaller in. I am really skinny on top with small shoulders and old at 52! I need to realize that my aged skin is not as soft and flexible too maybe. This part is really slowing me down. I guess I just need to be patient. I also was not wearing a bra this week . .I bet that did not help!! Just to hear how well you are doing? So comforting. XO!!

• MBPooch
    edited September 2019
    Options

How ironic, mine are also 345cc's! I'm also very slender but I feel like they're the perfect size. I'm 47 so not too far off from you in age either. I have to say, I don't wear a bra quite often, benefit of no nipples! :)

• IBJUSTFINE67
    edited September 2019
    Options

That is ironic and it is so good to know someone else like this. I think I was doing the wrong exercises to make a long story short and that's what caused the problem the last couple of days. I layed off those and just stuck with walking for now.

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi! :) I had this done as well. I do experience some tightness almost like my body is squeezing the implant. Occasionally, it feels like there is something in my arm pits as well. I also had a strange sensation the first 4 weeks in one of my boobs? that felt like having my nipple flicked but I don't have any so... I'm doing physical therapy and it's going really well so far. Mine are 615 cc but I'm in the overweight category at 186 lbs and 5'4". I see my plastic surgeon on October 14th. I have a lot of weird dips and crevices in my chest and around the implant over the last week or so. I guess all of my swelling finally subsided. We discussed fat grafting before my surgery to fix issues like this but that's a good way out for me since I'm still in chemotherapy and I still have to have a hysterectomy.

• MBPooch
    edited September 2019
    Options

I notice some rippling as well but only if I'm bending over. I mentioned to my PS and unfortunately I don't really have an area in which to graft from. But, he told me and I heard from others that it really has to bother you to go through fat grafting. Apparently it's not a pleasant recovery. I'm sure there's been lots posted here about recovery specifics!