Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Latissimus -Experiences?

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Mar 13, 2020 09:18AM

Dham1960 wrote:

I had Stage 4 MBC - Chemo, double masectomy and radiation. 6 months after radiation I'm ready for reconstruction. Doctor suggested taking muscle from the back I think it's Latissimus procedure. What are your experiences and outcomes? Happy with your outcome?

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Mar 13, 2020 04:34PM - edited Mar 13, 2020 04:37PM by buttonsmachine

Dham, I did not actually have the latissimus flap surgery, but I *almost* had to due to skin metastasis of my original breast cancer. I asked my plastic surgeon to avoid the latissimus dorsi flap, partly due to reading this thread: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/136/topics/788542?page=1

I am not trying to influence you at all! I think sometimes the latissimus flap surgery is helpful and necessary. But I was glad to be aware of the sometimes negative outcomes of this surgery. Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

Diagnosed at 32. Local recurrences in skin one year later due to needle seeding at initial biopsy. Now dealing with MBC. Dx 8/2016, IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/2017, IDC, Right, Grade 3, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 13, 2020 05:09PM SuQu31 wrote:

Hi there, Dham, I had Latissimus flap reconstruction with implants, but no radiation. My PS recommended it and I trusted him. I have had no issues with it, and did not know about these boards until after my surgery (when I started reading, they scared me to death since it was too late!) I do think it is important to have a surgeon who is very experienced and to make sure you understand about possible complications. Your lifestyle, work, exercise, etc. may impact whether it is right for you as well. I will add that I am very pleased with how my new breasts look (all things considered).
I hope others will chime in. Also, I would ask your surgeon if he has a patient who had the surgery who would be willing to talk to you about it.

Best wishes.

Re-excision for close anterior margin 10 days after BMX. Dx 10/31/2018, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 12/10/2018, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 12/10/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Surgery 12/20/2018 Surgery 9/13/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant

Sep 25, 2020 12:05PM Jaybird627 wrote:

I had lat flap surgery 12/2019. I don't have enough body fat or extra skin for any other surgery. I had healing issues previously after BMX. I recovered just fine from the lat flap surgery. I am a flight attendant and have no mobility issues at all. I had to have the expander removed due to wound healing issues - 3 times on that side. I found a new surgeon who suggested HBOT which I am completing soon. Will have a new expander in a few weeks and hope to have no more wound issues going forward. Good luck!

Jaybird~

Jaybird. My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope - Ovid. Surgery 3/4/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Dx 3/5/2005, IDC, Right, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)