Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Recruiting for Video Project: Recon Experience for Minorities

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Jul 10, 2020 11:06AM - edited Jul 10, 2020 11:07AM by Moderators

Moderators wrote:

Are you a Black, Latina, or Asian woman who has recently undergone breast reconstruction? We want to hear your story.

Black, Latina, and Asian women undergo breast reconstruction at half the rate of all women who have mastectomy. There are also important disparities in information delivery and in visual representation of minority women in clinical imagery of breast reconstruction outcomes.

For these and other reasons, there are important differences in the breast reconstruction experience among minority women that we want to explore in an upcoming video project.

If you'd like to share your story and help Breastcancer.org raise awareness of these important issues, please contact us by sending us a PM.
To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 12, 2020 06:42PM Jinx27 wrote:

Hello I am a 5 years survivor and had immediate reconstruction on both breasts. I wouldn't mind sharing my experience.

Dx 9/8/2015, DCIS/IDC, Both breasts, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/36 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/17/2015 Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Chemotherapy 1/1/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 8/29/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 17, 2020 10:36AM - edited Jul 17, 2020 10:37AM by tamaskar

Hi, I'm a 37 year old Asian (Indian) woman. I had reconstruction on both sides. I am happy to share my story.

Niyati

Jul 22, 2020 03:01PM hellosara wrote:

This is awesome! Just chiming in to say I would love to see a similar project for flatties. We're already such an underrepresented/niche group and it's very difficult to find images of BIPOC folks who opt out of breast mound reconstruction. There are additional issues BIPOC face with communicating with their medical team & that might impact flat closure outcomes also.

Dx 10/23/2018, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3

Jul 22, 2020 03:39PM Moderators wrote:

hellosara, great idea!

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Aug 3, 2020 03:49PM smittyclay wrote:

I am in the process of breast reconstruction right now. I'd be happy to share my experience so far.

Dx 6/2/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/29/2020 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Surgery 6/29/2020 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 8/14/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)