Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Removal of subpectoral implants for DIEP flap

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Sep 11, 2020 07:34PM

lynae23 wrote:

Has anyone removed subpectoral implants & had DIEP flap procedure done on both breasts? If so were you happy with the results? I can’t take constantly feeling these implants anymore so thinking of doing DIEP or changing to prepectoral implants. Those are my best options according to my new PS.

Dx 12/27/2016, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 2/7/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/24/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right) Surgery 11/1/2017 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Sep 19, 2020 03:00PM Wonderwoman78 wrote:

Hi lynae23,

I just had this procedure done August 17th. I had Stage 4 capsular contraction in my right side(the cancer and radiated side) and stage 2-3 on my left. My entire chest was incredibly tight, painful and lopsided. The implants (Natrelle 410s) never softened and dropped as promised and got increasingly tight and hard instead. They were also always COLD too! It was AWFUL. Any exercise that used my pecs resulted in days of increased discomfort. I finally realized I didn't have to live that way and got a consult from a new PS that specializes in DIEP flap to see if I was a good candidate. They did not recommend revising with new prepectoral implants because they believed I'd wind up in the same situation with capsular contraction so it was try autologous reconstruction or go flat. I'm not ready to go flat!

I'm still healing and the recovery is no joke with the hope to hip incision but I am already so glad I went this route so far. My new breasts are soft and WARM and pecs are already much happier. I also like being all me again- no foreign objects in my body! Despite still being pretty swollen, I'm pleased with my flat tummy as well! Age, hormones, genetics and medications all made losing belly fat a frustrating, major battle. I wish I had felt like I could have taken time to do more research in the beginning and done a DIEP from the get go. Good luck as you weigh the pros and cons for your particular situation. If you have any questions at all or want advice if you do go the DIEP route, I am happy to share my perspective.

Be well!

Married, mother of 4 and middle school teacher. Trying not to fall off this crazy rollercoaster I never wanted to ride! Dx 6/9/2016, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 8/5/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/25/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 8/17/2020 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)