Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: What clothes worked for you post DIEP reconstruction

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Is it right for you? Discuss timing and various procedures and techniques.

Posted on: Sep 16, 2020 06:53PM

CBK wrote:

Hi community -

I’m trying to help a fellow BC friend that is having a very difficult time post BMX with DIEP reconstruction.

She is in a lot of pain 5 weeks out and is describing an iron bra syndrome and anything that touches her skin so painful. She is unable to lift one arm, non cancer side in any normal ROM.

She is not allowed to wear compression garments per her surgeon. Can you ladies suggest best garments to wear for her comfort? We would like to buy her some things that could potentially support her healing.

I did not have this type of reconstruction nor the pain she is describing but I hope you can help me help her to start healing.

Thank you 🙏 so much for your advice.

Dx 3/26/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/11/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/21/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/25/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/17/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 4/9/2018 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 9/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/3/2019 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 16, 2020 07:48PM AmyCinny wrote:

Although I didn't have the problems you've outlined, I did experience skin sensitivity for weeks after my DIEP. I wore very soft camisoles that zipped up the front. The camisoles had detachable pockets for my drains, but even after my drains were removed, I continued to wear the camisoles because they were so comfortable. Since everyone's tolerance is different, I think she's just going to have to try various materials until she finds one that's comfortable against her skin. But definitely something that zips up the front - that requires minimal arm movement.

Good luck.

Sep 16, 2020 09:09PM alissat wrote:

I am currently 6 weeks out from a diep & lap flap. I do have some sensitivity issues but not to the degree your friend is. When I’m home I wear bamboo button up night gowns. They are super soft & easy to move in & out of. When I have to go out, I’ve been wearing knit dresses. I also have to wear a sports bra for support otherwise I have discomfort. Best wishes & I hope she finds comfort soon

Dx 5/22/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2019 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 8/19/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/6/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 2/13/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 17, 2020 03:05PM CBK wrote:

Thanks ladies could you share brand and where you ordered from?

Alissat Wow you had lat and DIEP flap together, so glad you are doing well. I never heard of anyone doing those two surgeries together. Interesting the sports bra help you with discomfort.

Thank you for your input.

Dx 3/26/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/11/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/21/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/25/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/17/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 4/9/2018 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 9/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/3/2019 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Sep 18, 2020 05:01PM alissat wrote:

I’ve ordered the button down pajamas off Amazon. I have this one & really like it a lot

Ekouaer Sleepwear Women's Night Shirt Short Sleeve Casual Sleepshirt Button Down Nightgown S-XXL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNXZ9FG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_X8rzFb6H0J3ES

Dx 5/22/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2019 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 8/19/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/6/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 2/13/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)