Join Us

We are 221,744 members in 83 forums discussing 162,122 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Yawning and Implants

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

If you've had or will be having a mastectomy (or in some cases, lumpectomy), you're likely facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when. Deciding whether or not to have a breast reconstructed is a very personal choice. Take the time you need to learn about how breast reconstruction might affect you, both emotionally and physically, before you decide to have the surgery.

Learn about different surgical options and the medical and personal issues around breast reconstruction.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Mar 10, 2021 04:32PM

LaVue wrote:

I yawned a few times.My left implant wanted to pop out. Has this happened to anyone? I have an appointment with my plastic surgeon next week. Want to be prepared for the discussion.

Additional info: my left implant feels tighter than my right implant. I am going to physical therapy for this issue.

Dx 2/3/2020, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes Surgery 6/10/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 6/22/2020, LCIS, Right, 0/4 nodes Surgery 10/7/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Mar 23, 2021 06:29PM LaVue wrote:

Just following up in case anyone else runs into this issue. The plastic surgeon said that I have mild contracture on the left breast. He'd like the physical therapist to massage the area. I have another appointment with him in 2 months. Hopefully, I'll be better by then and won't need another surgery.

The doctor also said that I can continue normal activities.

I have discomfort in the area but I am not in pain. Or rather on a scale of 1 to 10 sometimes the pain is at a one.

The breast (implant) also looks normal.

This information is helpful to someone.

Dx 2/3/2020, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes Surgery 6/10/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 6/22/2020, LCIS, Right, 0/4 nodes Surgery 10/7/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 24, 2021 06:07AM Snowflake888 wrote:

Thanks for updating. I was hoping someone would respond to you. My left implant has always been tighter, higher and closer to the sternum by an inch than my right implant. My chest muscles pull so tightly across the implants with even taking a deep breath or driving. I hope your massage works. I start my day off with arm stretches to help

Mar 25, 2021 04:24AM LaVue wrote:

Hi snowflake, I also stretch three times a day. It does help. My physical therapist has me doing a lot of pectoral stretches. Perhaps that is what you're doing and you're calling it arm stretches, I'm not sure. It's my understanding that our pectoral muscles are tight. Just throwing that information out there in case it's helpful to you.

I am also doing exercises with light weights. Though, I'm not allowed to do overhead arm exercises.

The physical therapist was massaging my implant. And I was massaging at home as well. That massage was specifically for stretching the capsule. The plastic surgeon requested another type of massage to break up the scar tissue. He also suggested I buy a little massager.

Mar 25, 2021 09:12PM MinusTwo wrote:

do talk to your plastic surgeon before starting any massage. Mine said DEFINITELY NOT. They are all different.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)