Join Us

We are 221,745 members in 83 forums discussing 162,124 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Skin grafts after DIEP

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

If you've had or will be having a mastectomy (or in some cases, lumpectomy), you're likely facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when. Deciding whether or not to have a breast reconstructed is a very personal choice. Take the time you need to learn about how breast reconstruction might affect you, both emotionally and physically, before you decide to have the surgery.

Learn about different surgical options and the medical and personal issues around breast reconstruction.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Mar 14, 2021 03:39PM

marjie wrote:

I am heading back for some surgery this week. I am 5 weeks out from DIEP but have to have skin grafts and wound closure after the mastectomy skin flaps went necrotic. So gross!!

I'm just looking for anyone who's had same to share their experience and provide recovery time line and tips.

Treatment: Rt Lump/SNB Aug 2010, FECx3/Tx3, radsx25+8, Herceptin x18 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Mar 14, 2021 06:53PM abigailj wrote:

Hi Marje - really sorry to hear you’re having necrosis issues. My post-DIEP wound healing issues were necrosis on part of the bikini line incision, close to 6 inches long - had to use silvadene on it for a few weeks after the procedure to clean it out and I also had an infection in the lower part of one of my recon breasts like a month after that - lost some of the transferred fat, enough to leave a divot I’m going to have fat grafting to smooth out. So, in my case it was a different incision had that issue but it did heal well eventually

Like my PS told me when I was considering immediate DIEP recon with my BMX “it’s a process over several months, could take close to a year for you to seethe final optimal results “ I’m older (62 at time of surgery) so odds are that you will heal more quickly than me. Best wishes, Abigail

Dx 1/2020, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IB, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/23/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, SIEA flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap, SIEA flap

Mar 14, 2021 09:48PM marjie wrote:

Interesting! I'm 57 and happy to hear of someone closer to my age.

It's definitely a process for sure. I'll be happy to get my breasts closed up. My belly incision has been healing well.

Treatment: Rt Lump/SNB Aug 2010, FECx3/Tx3, radsx25+8, Herceptin x18 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)