Join Us

We are 221,745 members in 83 forums discussing 162,124 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Surgical glue was removed and I was amazed

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

If you've had or will be having a mastectomy (or in some cases, lumpectomy), you're likely facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when. Deciding whether or not to have a breast reconstructed is a very personal choice. Take the time you need to learn about how breast reconstruction might affect you, both emotionally and physically, before you decide to have the surgery.

Learn about different surgical options and the medical and personal issues around breast reconstruction.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Mar 19, 2021 11:54AM

Joan272021 wrote:

I’m writing to share something nice that happened yesterday—I guess it was a recovery milestone for me. I’m sharing because avid readers like me looking for info might appreciate it and more importantly, if anyone’s going to understand it’ll be someone here. So this past Wednesday was seven weeks since my mastectomy and yesterday was my appointment to have my fifth TE fill. As my PS was doing the fill he started pulling the surgical glue off of my incision. It had been peeling, but I had been nervous to do anything with it. Usually when he’s doing a fill I don’t look down—I’m still not at ease with seeing the process, even though it’s turned out to be pain-free. I decided to look though and I couldn’t believe it. Ugly dried blood came off with the glue and revealed what now looks more like a deep scratch instead of a gruesome scary incision. He said, yeah it’s misleading because the blood soaks into the glue and stays there. Also, with the fifth fill the shape is rounder and less smooshed looking. Today when I showered I wasn’t as sad when I looked down and in the mirror afterwards. It was really nice! I didn’t know what to expect with the incision so I hope this will help someone else.

Dx 11/6/2020, DCIS/Paget's, Left, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes Surgery 1/26/2021 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/25/2021 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Mar 19, 2021 04:03PM OCDAmy wrote:

I totally agree with this! Once that glue comes off it’s like a miracle! Looks so much better.

Dx 2/2017, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/15/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy Whole-breast

Mar 19, 2021 10:02PM WC3 wrote:

Joan272021:

I can relate. My surgeons did an excellent job and I'm very pleased with the results. I have some rippling on the sides that I don't care about because it's usually obscured by my arms and I have a ripple on the upper inner quadrant on one side I will try to resolve with fat grafting when I am up for it but I was a challenging case and I think my surgeons did an amazing job.

I'm very happy with the work of all my doctors in this actually. I feel very fortunate to have had such a skilled medical team.

Pathologic complete response (pCR) to chemotherapy. Dx 2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 5/31/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/14/2018 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)