Join Us

We are 224,942 members in 83 forums discussing 163,795 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Why no need for a bra after Reconstruction?

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: May 11, 2021 01:53PM

Charlierun wrote:

Hi, I will be seeing my Plastic Surgeon in two weeks where I will be discussing my options for prophylactic bilateral mastectomy due to a BRCA2 mutation. She has recommended a diep flap reconstruction , and I am still deciding between diep or implants. I have read in the forums that wearing a bra Is not needed after you have fully recovered from surgery. (I am not referring to the immediate post op recovery from a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction) I am curious about that as I’ve always had to wear a bra to give support, I have been a 36D. Is it the same for diep reconstruction with your own tissue in terms of wearing a bra? The reason I ask because it sounds if I have saline or silicone implants they must not move much or bounce? I have been a runner for 40 years and just curious what the long-term effects saline/or silicone would be on exercise and movement?.

Brca2 mutation

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

May 11, 2021 02:18PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

I can’t speak to DIEP but I have had implants for almost 10 years. No, they don’t bounce or move much and they are as firm as a teenagers! They feel normal to the touch, no solid or hard, but youthfully firm. I actually wear a bra most of the time as I am a teacher and I feel it’s more professional but go bra less around the house. Best of luck

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

May 11, 2021 02:52PM abigailj wrote:

Hi Charlierun - I had nipple sparing BMX with immediate DIEP recon, slight reduction in size from 36DD to 36D. They are a lot less saggy than my natural breasts were but if I don’t wear a bra outside the house I’d bounce too much and would feel embarrassed/uncomfortable.

Hope your upcoming surgery goes well with whatever you decide.

Abigail

Dx 1/2020, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IB, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/23/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, SIEA flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap, SIEA flap

May 11, 2021 05:18PM - edited May 11, 2021 05:19PM by mommamonaster

I got implants (cosmetic) years ago, and in doing my research learned that breast tissue is much denser than implants. So a natural 36D breast is much heavier than an implanted breast of the same size. I think the no bra is because the implanted breast doesn't technically need the same level of support.

May 11, 2021 05:34PM SuQu31 wrote:

Charlierun,

I would check with your surgeon and see what she/he recommends, especially since you are a runner. I had lat flaps and implants and I now wear a bra 24/7 because it is more comfortable to me. I did go up in size, but not enough to need new clothes. Some of the decision probably depends on the individual and how they feel. I would think that gravity still can impact your breasts, even after full healing.

There are a number of discussions about the issue of bra-wearing on this site, so they might give you a range of viewpoints. As for implants, I believe there are various levels of firmness. My surgeon and I discussed what I wanted.

Re-excision for close anterior margin 10 days after BMX. Dx 10/31/2018, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 12/9/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Dx 12/10/2018, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 12/19/2018 Surgery 9/13/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant

May 11, 2021 07:25PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Most plastic surgeons use some type of acellular dermal matrix such as Alloderm, as an internal support on the underside of the implant. It’s a bit like an internal sling

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

May 12, 2021 05:39AM SummerAngel wrote:

I had implant reconstruction and can go without a bra if I like, but I still wear a sports bra when I exercise because it feels better to me. On a day-to-day basis I wear a Coobie bra (shopcoobie.com), which has very little support but just feels really comfortable.

Age at dx: 45. Oncotype, left-side tumor: 9. Right side had multifocal IDC and "extensive" LCIS. Isolated tumor cells in 1 right-side node. Dx 3/27/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 4/27/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/1/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 6/1/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/27/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/3/2015 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction

May 12, 2021 09:12PM Charlierun wrote:

Hi Everyone, Thanks everyone for responding to my post. There are a lot of factors to consider in my decision between implants vs diep as I hope to resume the same level of activity post surgery, i.e. running, hiking, etc....I realize the more important issues to consider in deciding between the reconstruction choices are recovery, risk of complications and number of surgeries required, but all the details help prepare me for the reality of living with foobs( I believe that is the term )

Brca2 mutation

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)