Join Us

We are 224,943 members in 83 forums discussing 163,795 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Prophylactic Mastectomy complications

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: May 23, 2021 11:39AM

Charlierun wrote:

Does anybody know the incidence of complications post prophylactic mastectomy in terms of the result of the surgery versus any prior treatments like radiation or chemo? The surgical complications I am referring to include lymphedema, abdominal bulging and hernia with diep, post prophylactic pain syndrome? I’m trying to find a valid resource that lists the rate of these complications in order to make an informed choice before going further with a prophylactic mastectomy and possibly deip reconstruction?

Brca2 mutation

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

May 23, 2021 02:31PM Beesie wrote:

Not exactly what you are looking for but this article might be helpful:

Complications After Mastectomy and Immediate Breast Reconstruction for Breast Cancer: A Claims-Based Analysis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC48241...

Dx 9/15/2005 Right, 7cm+, DCIS-Mi, Stage IA, Gr 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR- ** Dx 01/16/2019 Left, 8mm, IDC, Stage IA, Gr 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) ** Surgery 11/30/2005 MX Right, 03/06/2019 MX Left ** Hormonal Therapy 05/2019 Letrozole

May 23, 2021 09:35PM Charlierun wrote:

Hi Bessie, Thanks for responding to my post, I read the article and found it helpful to read the comparison of complications between the various reconstruction choices including going flat. This is an incredibly challenging decision to make and I am grateful for the responses from others like yourself who has taken the time to share information .

Brca2 mutation

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)