Join Us

We are 224,935 members in 83 forums discussing 163,793 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Nipple transplantation.

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Jun 18, 2021 02:59PM

GlebB wrote:

Hey, dear friends! My name is Gleb. To make a long story short. Recently, a person appeared in my environment who had breast cancer. And I felt so helpless because there was nothing I could do to help. But then I got an idea. Can I become a nipple donor? I could help atleast 1 or 2 people, because I don't need nipples and I would gladly share them with those in need. Is there such a nipple transplant surgery? I didn't find any information on the internet. Hope you know something about this. Thank you friends!

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jun 18, 2021 04:02PM - edited Jun 18, 2021 04:06PM by exbrnxgrl

That is very kind and generous of you. I have been on bco for 10 years and have never heard of such a thing. That you were unable to find anything on the internet may also suggest that this is not currently a viable procedure. Reconstructed nipples? Yes, but never donor tissue from another person. That doesn't mean there isn't such a thing but if there is it must be quite rare as I've not heard mention of it. Take care.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Jun 18, 2021 05:47PM DiveCat wrote:

I have not heard of it but…

Nipples are quite delicate in terms of blood supply. Some of us keep our nipples with surgery and they can still be touch and go for survival, as surgery is traumatic and affects blood supply to area.

Assuming there was a donor match, this would be microsurgery to connect blood supply and dependent on the receiver having adequate blood supply to the area in first place - you would not be able to just slap the nipple on wherever and hope it lives.

Even if that was successful - it does not mean there would be feeling. You lose a lot of things with a mastectomy: breast tissue yes, but also nerves/nerve damage. I am not sure this is a better option then nipple reconstruction as not sure there would be any more benefits to it, but potentially more risk (necrosis, rejection, etc).

Hereditary High Risk, Uninformed BRCA Negative Surgery 4/23/2014 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 3/11/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 11/13/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 7/8/2020 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery 12/11/2020 Reconstruction (left): Nipple tattoo; Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo Surgery 3/4/2021 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)