Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Recurring Capsular Contracture

oceanbum
oceanbum Member Posts: 3,644
edited June 2021 in Breast Reconstruction

Hello ladies! I'm hoping to get some input and advice to help me make a decision. I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2017 following 6 cycles of chemo & 12 cycles of Herceptin. I had immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders placed at the time. My exchange surgery was 3 months later, followed by fat grafting another 4 months after that. Well, I ended up developing Capsular Contracture. The left side was worse but it was beginning to develop on the right side as well. I had a capsulectomy done and my implants replaced in June of 2019. My PS was very cautious with the surgery, taking extra measures to try to avoid a recurrence. He used a layer of biological mesh between my tissue and the implants, he had me take steroids and I believe Benadryl for a couple of weeks after the surgery. We also didn't do any fat grafting to avoid "muddying up the waters". Lol

Well, I'm now 2 years post surgery and it's recurring again. I saw my PS about a month ago. He gave me several options and I have been struggling with my decision. The first would be to do nothing and live with the deformed breast and pain. Second would be to remove the implants, replace them and remove and re-implant the nipple. Both of the times the Capsular Contracture has occurred directly under the nipple. Third would be to remove the implants and replace them, remove the nipples and do nipple tattoos. Another option would be to do the flap reconstruction. And lastly take the implants out altogether and go flat.

So I am struggling with the decision. Partly because I have started having feeling back and he said that is extremely rare. My PS looked at me and then my husband and said "You mean like sexual arousal feeling? That's extremely rare." That why I feel like I've been given a gift and I don't want to just give it up. But on the other hand I'm in pain most of the time. I can't wear a bra because it hurts when I do. But I also don't feel comfortable not wearing a bra because I feel like my nipples show too much. They're always "at attention". Lol My husband is behind my decision 100% no matter what I decide. But I just don't know what to do.

I'm leaning towards having the implants removed, go with a smaller implant and have the nipples removed altogether. I may or may not have tattoos. I haven't decided yet. Something else that is weighing in on the decision is my back. I have a bulging disc and spinal stenosis right at my bra strap. So the weight of the implants is causing stress on my back.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, experiences and/or advice?

Thanks for your help! I always get the best advice here.