Topic: Radiation and Failed Reconstruction, Is there still hope?

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Aug 20, 2021 03:10PM

Posted on: Aug 20, 2021 03:10PM

Biessy wrote:

I have had a bilateral mastectomies, chemo and radiation. I had expanders from the start. Implants were later put in but were misshaped and now, 4 years later, I have attempted reconstruction on both sides. My doctor thought a Latissimus Dorsi Flap with implants would work for me. Unfortunately, 2 attempts failed with seromas forming with infection. The seroma was partially removed recently with the remaining pieces stuck to my rib cage.

I am truly at a cross road. Due to my chemo treatment, I have alopecia leaving me looking like a man with patterned baldness. I am a fairly tall woman at 5'10". With the lack of a figure, I am quite often called sir, man and my drivers license even had me down as a male until a cashier noticed it. I was devastated. I wear wigs or a hat when it is cool enough, but I live in Georgia... As I saw another woman post, it is still very difficult to look at myself in the mirror.

My question is, am I out of options? Do I need to just suck it up? The thought of a prosthetic in this climate is so unappealing, especially since I inherited sweat glands on overdrive.

A plastic surgeon in another state who had to do an emergency removal of my implant, said that it could be repaired and look really good I just want to know if anyone has any experience with his kind of situation...

Page 2 of 2 (11 results)

Nov 17, 2021 10:59AM Biessy wrote:

Really?! That is exactly what my problem is. I think that is part of why I kept getting ceromas. Did you do this shortly after treatment?

I'm 4 years out.

THANK YOU!

Page 2 of 2 (11 results)

Scroll to top button