Join Us

We are 224,261 members in 83 forums discussing 163,468 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Best donor sites for fat grafting (adjusting a DIEP recon)?

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Sep 3, 2021 11:32AM

abigailj wrote:

I've arranged to have some fat grafting in November to fill a divot left by the loss of some fat that got necrosis and was expelled after an infection during the healing process after I had BMX with immediate DIEP recon in June 2020. I also want to have a little more fullness in some areas of the recon breasts to improve symmetry. I am 5' 3", around 25 pounds overweight, 63 years old and totally menopausal (was taking HRT before my diagnosis...). Since I had DIEP, I have no fat cells in the abdomen and my flanks do not seem to have much fat. All my fat is in my big behind and thighs. The PS talked about donor site being flanks or inner thighs (why inner and not outer I have no idea, and disappointed fat from my behind wouldn't work well according to him). So, all that said, I'd appreciate if anyone who had a similar fat grafting experience following initial DIEP could share where the donor fat came from and your results experience? Was the appearance smooth at the receiving site(s)? did you have necrosis? did the fat get reabsorbed into your body and not stay where it was supposed to? were you overall happy with the results of doing this? Thanks very much!

Abigail

Dx 1/2020, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IB, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, SIEA flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap, SIEA flap

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Sep 3, 2021 10:16PM OnTarget wrote:

I had fat taken from my outer thighs and belly, but mainly thighs.

I LOVE how it got rid of my weird saddle bags! The lipo created a few small divots that have filled in over the past year, and I am so much happier with my thigh shape now.

The lipo hurt like a bear for a week, but it was worth it.

Diagnosed at 42, Oncotype score 16, ITC in one node- considered node negative. Lost right implant to infection March 2020. Waiting to start reconstruction all over again. Dx 4/8/2019, ILC, Left, 3cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/23/2019, ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 6/13/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy 8/5/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/5/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 2/14/2020 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 3/29/2020 Reconstruction (right) Surgery 11/6/2020 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/31/2021 Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Sep 4, 2021 05:20AM abigailj wrote:

Thanks very much OnTarget - it's reassuring to hear you didn't experience any issues that didn't resolve and are happy with the results from outer thighs. I hope all is going well with your recon after the difficulties you've had to deal with!

Abigail

Dx 1/2020, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 2cm, Stage IB, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap, SIEA flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap, SIEA flap

Sep 4, 2021 05:40PM RatherBeSailing wrote:

I had fat taken from my inner thighs, and it worked out great.

Sep 4, 2021 08:18PM abigailj wrote:

thanks RatherBeSailing - did your PS give you options for the donor site?

Sep 5, 2021 01:24PM RatherBeSailing wrote:

No, it was his choice. And I trusted that, with his years of experience, he knew better than I. He is an excellent. surgeon.

Sep 5, 2021 03:49PM abigailj wrote:

Thanks a

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)