Join Us

We are 225,723 members in 83 forums discussing 164,194 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Words of Advice for implant replacement

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Oct 22, 2021 07:30AM

lab44 wrote:

Just scheduled my implant replacement and revision surgery (decrease "extra area of pocket", lippo, etc) and very nervous about the process and recovery time. When I had my bi-laterlal mastectomy 11 years ago, I "did what I had to" but now it feels different.

Looking for advice (good, bad, & ugly) on implant exchange, revision surgery, lippo, etc.

TiA

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Oct 22, 2021 07:47AM lab44 wrote:

in addition, thoughts on implants under vs. over muscles. I currently have them under but really dislike how 1 side gets distorted when my muscles flexes.

Oct 23, 2021 03:28AM Rah2464 wrote:

My revision surgery was so easy compared to my initial NS direct to implant, over the muscle. The harvesting areas of the lipo was definitely the painful area. Hopefully someone will respond about switching from under to over, that I cannot speak to. Best wishes on the surgery, hope you have beautiful results

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/26/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/19/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Oct 23, 2021 04:16AM saltmarsh wrote:

I've got over-the-muscle implants and am glad I went with them. The only thing I think some people might not like is the visible minor "rippling", but that only happens if my breast is unrestrained and I'm leaning forward. And no one sees it unless you do that in a low-cut shirt!

Dx 3/8/2021. LCIS, ILC. Surgery 4/19/2021 mastectomy, right

Oct 23, 2021 06:39AM MinusTwo wrote:

I have had under muscle implants since 2011. As much as one can like a 'fake' body addition, I like everything about them & would likely stick with 'under' again. Since my PS originally said shelf like was "around 10 years", I expect I'll be looking at replacements sooner rather than later..

Looking forward to hearing from more people who have had their original implants replaced.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 26, 2021 06:34PM lab44 wrote:

All, Thank you for your input. Met with P.S. today and new implants will be put in on Nov. 8th.

saltmarsh Can you explain more about "rippling only if unrestrained and leaning forward"? Do you mean if your not wearing a bra?

I have been very happy with my original implant surgery except for when my muscles flexes, it distorts on 1 side only. So my P.S. and I discussed putting the implants over the muscle. I've enjoyed the freedom of not wearing a bra most of the time unless I'm in a thin shirt and hope to keep it that way (I had decreased my size after my bi-lateral mastectomy).

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)