Join Us

We are 225,723 members in 83 forums discussing 164,194 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Complications in Removing Reconstruction/Removing Impants

Forum: Breast Reconstruction —

Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Oct 24, 2021 09:17AM

jgranth wrote:

I had mastectomy with reconstruction due to breast cancer December 2020. I've been in pain ever since. Turns out I have capsular contracture. The solution is to remove the reconstruction with an en bloc procedure. This procedure removes the capsule as an unbroken unit, so that any toxicity within doesn't spill into the chest cavity.

I'm wondering how other people's journeys progressed, and if there might be negative effects that would continue to cause pain for years in the future. Has anyone had this procedure?

Thanks,

Janet

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Oct 24, 2021 09:40PM Krose53 wrote:

Hi, I was curious why you were choosing an en bloc procedure? I don't know a lot about it but from what I have read, there are many possibilities for complications with this option. Do you have extending circumstances that have led you to make this decision?

Dx 11/16/2017, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/27/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/22/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2018

Oct 25, 2021 02:49AM Rah2464 wrote:

I have the same question as well. I had some extensive scarring and had a revision surgery last Nov to clear it up. It wasn't an enbloc procedure to my knowledge.

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/26/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/26/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/19/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Oct 31, 2021 09:36AM - edited Oct 31, 2021 09:38AM by jgranth

Hi Krose53,

I don't know of the many complications from en bloc, I will have to research them. I am doing en bloc because Facebook groups on Breast Implant Illness and many plastic surgeons indicate that removing the implant and scar tissue in one block is the gold star in explant surgery. The medical community seems to be divided concerning the credibility of breast implant illness risk necessitating en bloc procedure. A capsulectomy involves cutting into the unit, thereby allowing toxicity to drain into the open chest cavity. An en bloc procedure prevents this.

My doctor is Dr. Mark Clemens, he is an expert in lymphoma illness thought to be caused by implants. Please let me know any additional information you or others may know about this.

Oct 31, 2021 09:40AM jgranth wrote:

Rah2464,

How are you doing? Did the revision surgery help? Your surgery report should indicate if is was a capsulectomy procedure, or en bloc.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)