Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat grafting after going flat?

nns121317
nns121317 Member Posts: 106
edited January 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

I had BMX with immediate silicone implant reconstruction in October. I had figured I'd go back to my natural D cup, so my implants are each 535cc.

They actually look great, but....they're heavy and feel weird. They seem sooo much bigger and in the way than my natural breasts were. I am extremely active (although not so much right now due to chemo), and I wonder if I'd be happier without the implants. I also worry about their maintenance and potential for complications.

I see the PS again in July, after I finish chemo and radiation, to plan for a revision surgery in October or November. Even if I keep the implants, I'll need fat grafting for rippling and hollows in my chest.

I don't think I want to be totally flat for a variety of reasons, but I wouldn't mind being a nicely shaped B cup or small C. Is it possible to do this with only fat grafting?

Edit to add: I'm not a candidate for DIEP or other flap procedures, nor would I be interested in that type of reconstruction.

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605

Here's the page about it on this site, if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/rec...

It's so new not much is known about it.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769

NNS121317 - I'm pretty sure fat grating will not work, but I'm not 100% sure. I hope someone else can give you definitive answer.

I too wanted to be as close to my natural size and have the same issue, my foobs came out way too big and they are heavy causing neck, shoulder and more recently, back problems. I meet with my PS next week to discuss what my options are. If I'm not mistaken, because I had radiation on my right side my PS will not do an implant on that side and I will probably have to have DIEP and may as well do both if that is indeed the case. I'd prefer to have implants as a DIEP is so much more of an invasive surgery.

Wishing you all the best!

Edit - Parakeet was posting as I was typing.

• nns121317

Thanks, Parakeet. Very interesting that there isn't much data on fat grafting yet, although I didn't realize it was quite so new.

Serendipity, the DIEP surgery and recovery scares me. A lot. And my surgeon said I don't really have enough tissue to work with, so I guess that's that. My positive nodes weren't found until the post surgery pathology, so nobody anticipated I'd need radiation...I am hopeful things stay okay, but we'll see. I might not have a choice but to pull the implants, anyways.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690

I want to comment on comfort and implant size . My implants put me in the large B/small C range. I also have Alloderm “slings” which act as additional support. They do not feel heavy and I rarely notice them. I have had them for 10 years. There is no maintenance and potential for complications are minimal. I can’t tell you anything about fat grafting but smaller implants might be something to consider.

• nns121317

Thanks, exbrnxgrl. The maintenance I was referring to is the triennial MRI to check for leaks. My PS did use Alloderm for mine as well.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690

I have never had imaging to look for leaks, but I'm good with that. I have cohesive gels, as most silicone implants are, and though you could have a rupture they don't leak like silicone implants of the past. I do recall a few members saying they had this type of imaging. Wonder if a rupture would show up on a PET? I've had plenty of those 😅

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044

Triennial MRI's? Does that mean every three years? Seems excessive.

As exbrn says, most of us have cohesive gel implants & most of us do not have imaging to check for leaks. I've had mine 10 years and they are not uncomfortable or heavy. I'm guessing that's due to the size? I recently posted on another thread that the radiologist who diagnosed my original cancer believes in an Ultrasound every other year but no MRIs unless indicated by the ULS. Note - since I have had a BMX and no longer have mammograms, these ultrasounds also check for recurring BC. My oncologist believes in no testing, as does my plastic surgeon.