Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Timing of Surgery to Swap Out Tissue Expander

Options
GalleySlave
GalleySlave Member Posts: 17
edited March 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Could someone pleasegive me a feel for what to expect after the Tissue Expander is replaced? I had my last fill at the end of January so I'm ready for the "swap" now. But I have some travel I'd like to complete at the end of April and in May and in June. (The trips will involve a long car trip, a couple flights, a couple cruises and a lot of fun!!) If I take it easy with regards to lifting etc, can I have the surgery in early April and recover in just 3-4 weeks? Or should I give myself more recovery time and wait until the end of June after my travels are all complete?

Thank you.

Comments

• lalbo
    lalbo Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2022
    Options

Galleyslave - I had my TE->implant replacement on 9/22/21, I was back at work 10/7/21. The recovery was much quicker with this surgery than the BMX. I had restrictions not to lift/push/pull anything over 10lbs until 6 weeks post surgery. That was my experience.

• hmc915
    hmc915 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2022
    Options

Having my tissue expanders were the most uncomfortable and painful thing ever. I was in pain with them from May-October until I finally got them out.

My recover from the exchange was sooo much easier then my mastectomy. Barely on pain meds. The bruising from liposuction was worse than the exchange.

Travel within a couple of weeks for me would have been no problem.

Biggest thing is weight restrictions.

• GalleySlave
    GalleySlave Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you ladies. Interestingly, one Doc said to plan on 4 weeks recovery and another said to plan on 1 week. Maybe the reality will be somewhere in between.