Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant surgery tomorrow. Questions

Dh305
Dh305 Member Posts: 9
edited April 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

hello all

I am scheduled for my expander removal Tomorrow, and will be getting my implants put in.

The implants are going to be silicone. I keep asking my plastic surgeon about Saline, because I hear silicon is bad and can cause many complications, including cancer in the future.

Am I being irrational? Should I be advocating for Salin? Are there any silicon manufacturers to stay away from?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,215
    edited April 2022

dh305 - good luck with your surgery tomorrow. The majority of those who have reconstruction implants do use silicone, and they are cohesive, so if they rupture the silicone does not migrate like the implants used many years ago. The textured silicone implants that were recalled recently after being linked to rare lymphoma occurrence are no longer being used. As far as saline implants - they are in a silicone shell, so you would still have a silicone outer covering. For reconstruction purposes I think most plastic surgeons prefer silicone as saline can show more ripples since there is no breast tissue in front of the implant to provide a cushion. Most people have implants from the two major manufacturers Allergan and Mentor.

• Dh305
    Dh305 Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2022

thank you

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited April 2022

Dh - I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. I asked about saline implants when I had my exchange and was told exactly what SpeacialK says above, less rippling. IMO I think aesthetically they are more appealing, but that's just a matter of preference.

Best wishes and keep posted as to how everything goes.