Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras while waiting for exchange?

Options
dancemom
dancemom Member Posts: 404
edited September 2022 in Breast Reconstruction

Hi. I have searched through everywhere for info on Bras, but it seems most recommendations are for either immediately after surgery (sports bras) or comfortable wire-free ones if you are semi-even. I've tried a number of those recommended front closure bras and so far the band is not wide enough. They are all too high and tight on my ribs, or a larger size doesn't hold anythingin underneath. I have one old saggy boob (the way it should be) and one Hard rock tissue expander. My old bras fit on the natural side but have inches of collapsed space on the TE side. Stuffing it is uncomfortable over the rock. Has anyone found a good inbetween?

My natural side tends to fall out the bottom of the sports bras, but thats fine under a T-shirt, when I feel uncomfortable I can fix it. I have found the Old Navy sports bras to be the most comfortable. But the sports bras look at events isn't nice.

Comments

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206
    edited May 2022
    Options

I wondered your size. I was never large breasted, so bras were hard all my life. Not super small, but not fitting most in that section today. I too have one and an expander. The band size from sports bras were just wrong. I finally went to Walmart and found afront closure that is going to work when my right breast goes and relieved me from wearing the "Dale" surgery bra that at least worked. I got it all Walmart. A "Hanes" front E-hook close that fits around. I plan to go to a real fitting at a Nordstrom once my whole my surgeries are complete. i say try unexpected stores or ask at a department store that does fitting.

I had skin sparing too. Nipple and that part gone as i have Brca2 and Her2+.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited May 2022
    Options

dancemom- I found that Ellen Tracy bras have worked wonderfully for me. They are soft and comfortable and have a wider band. I bought them at Sam's Club. I tried bras from AnaOno, but they didn't fit right. I don't even know what my bra size is, I'm in be between cups, so finding something that fit was a challenge.

I hope you find something works for you.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    edited May 2022
    Options

I've seen the Ellen Tracy mentioned in threads. It seems to have cup sizes though. If you fit it to the real breat, does the other cup warp?

I'll look for the hanes. I tried the fruit of the loom front closure, but it digs into the bottom of the expander. I feel like I have permanent bruise or something at the bottom and also right above the port on top.

Thanks for suggestions!!!!

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited May 2022
    Options

Dancemom- I really like the Ellen Tracy's, their the only ones I've found to be comfortable. The ones I purchased were S, M, L or XL, they're called Comfort Bras. I have one breast, the radiated one that is now smaller than the left side and the cup fits good.

The Fruit of the Looms were too short for me too and dug into my expander, they were very uncomfortable for me. I ordered a larger size and it was too big.

I had a bruise the entire time I had my port. I had mine removed less than a year ago and the scar tissue had already developed. Unfortunately it is still sore and the scar tissue surfaced. My PS will remove as much of the scar tissue during my next surgery.

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206
    edited May 2022
    Options

I think you need to try them on. Buy one and then wear it, return if it does not fit. All women are shaped so different. I am a 42 around and with most bras, the cup size would be huge. I still feel a little bruised under my expander on my rib, but I was reminded by my breast surgeon last week, that expanders are shaped not to feel comfortable, but as a precursor to an implant. I relooked at mine and i to have a fruit of the loom bra, so for me this kind worked. I know there are a few threads on this site with a couple choices for bras. Check the band size around and soft cups........ and know, one day you will have two that will hopefully never change their size or sag. And ask i told a lady in check out offer seeing my MO, we only have 2, so this will be our toughest part. Finding the bra that fits our awkward shapes. I hope the Ellen Tracy works for you.

• shizle7
    shizle7 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2022
    Options

Kind of a bra question:

I’ve had my expanders in for 4 weeks so far. They were filled to 200cc at surgery. I have my first fill next week and we are planning on 50cc each week.

I’ve settled in on the Fruit of the Loom front closure. But, I am noticing that when I wear the Fruit of the Loom bra, you can REALLY see my scar line through the shirt I wear.

So, do you wear something else in there so you don’t have a straight line across your chest?

I’m really hoping the scar settles down a bit-I’m not going to lie-I was excited to possibly go braless