Topic: Implants after radiation treatment

Forum: Breast Reconstruction — Talk with others facing decisions about whether or not to have breast reconstruction, and if so, what type and when.

Posted on: Nov 21, 2022 04:19PM

Posted on: Nov 21, 2022 04:19PM

sonicgirl9 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am leaning towards having implants - maybe silicone after having a mastectomy last year august. I had 5 weeks of radiation therapy in December and skin has recovered well. I have a tissue expander and now considering reconstruction options. Would like to hear from anyone who had implants after radiation. From some threads it seems a diep flap may be a better long term option especially after radiation therapy but i would prefer to go with the "simpler" option. Also any advice on saline versus silicone. It seems silicone are more natural based on my research.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Nov 22, 2022 11:04AM dutchiegirl wrote:

I can't really help with this question as I'm now awaiting my surgery. I had a consult last week with a plastic surgeon. I am going to be getting silicone implants as they are much safer than they used to be. And you're right - they feel more natural. I'll be watching this thread to see the feedback!

Lori-Anne Dx 11/7/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 6/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 1/14/2019 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Chemotherapy 3/4/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 7/29/2019 Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Nov 23, 2022 10:06PM wondering44 wrote:

sonicgirl19,

I had my TEs removed today and have Natrelle Silicone implants (smooth). The PS did a wonderful job. He asked if I wanted the pockets closer together for more cleavage and if I wanted less or more volume than the TEs. I opted for more cleavage and more volume. He also removed additional skin on non-cancer breast to get better symmetry. Honestly, I look like I had a breast lift with the implants. I had radiation last year (Nov. & Dec.). I know I have to heal properly over the next two weeks to see if the results will be kind to how they look today.

It was recommended I do the skin grafts rather than the skin-sparing BMX and implants due to radiation. If I don't heal properly I can do the skin grafting. I am happy to have the skin graft options if this doesn't work. For me, it was a no brainer to try the it since I can go the other route later if necessary.

Oh those silicone implants feel SO much better than the TEs. I understood the explanation on the saline implants to show more ripples since it is so close to the skin with the breast tissue removed and the silicone implants provide a better breast look after a mastectomy. I had saline implants before the cancer. They were beautiful, but the silicone implants really do feel and look wonderful. I am extremely satisfied with the look after mastectomy, since I will never have those beautiful saline boobs back, and happy that I did the silicone this time. Let me know if you want me to PM you a photo. Happy to do so to have you see a photo while you are considering options.

I didn't get a choice in getting cancer. I do get to choose how I live each day after. Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Surgery 8/31/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Skin Sparing Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 24, 2022 12:14AM sonicgirl9 wrote:

Wondering44, Thanks for sharing your experience. It's very helpful. Glad to hear you are happy with the outcome.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Scroll to top button