We are 156,701 members in 80 forums discussing 124,049 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: High Risk for Breast Cancer → Topic: Raloxifene as preventitive premenopausal women?

Topic: Raloxifene as preventitive premenopausal women?

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Jul 27, 2011 08:56PM

mammafox wrote:

Anyone know anything about using raloxifene in premenopausal women strictly as a preventitive?

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 27, 2011 09:39PM awb wrote:

raloxifene (evista) is only approved  for use as a preventative in post menopausal women. (as far as I know, they haven't approved it yet for premenopausal use).  I've been taking it for over 2 years---I am high risk due to LCIS and family history of ILC.

anne 

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future" Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes Hormonal Therapy 02/27/2009 Evista (chemical name: raloxifene, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)) Hormonal Therapy 10/29/2003 Surgery 04/04/2005 Prophylactic (also called preventive) removal of the ovaries Surgery 09/15/2003 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my right breast

Jul 28, 2011 05:29AM mammafox wrote:

I had been looking on the web and only saw its use for post menopausal women.

I am wondering why a PA would suggest I go on it for bc prevention.

Jul 28, 2011 11:05AM momoschki wrote:

Like you, everything I have read has indicated that Evista should only be used for post-menopausal women.  However, my onc indicated that Evista could be an option for me, and I am perimenopausal.  When I asked him about this discrepancy, he said that no, I still could take it altho I am not yet menopausal.  Confusing.

ADH dx 3/11 Surgery 03/10/2011 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my left breast

Jul 28, 2011 11:22AM awb wrote:

the evista studies have only been with post-menopausal women; they may be able to use it off-label (since it is already an approved drug for osteoporosis). I use it primarily to help decrease the risk of invasive bc, but it has the added benefit for my bones. (I have osteopenia)

Anne 

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future" Dx 9/5/2003, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes Hormonal Therapy 02/27/2009 Evista (chemical name: raloxifene, class: selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM)) Hormonal Therapy 10/29/2003 Surgery 04/04/2005 Prophylactic (also called preventive) removal of the ovaries Surgery 09/15/2003 Lumpectomy in one or both breasts: Lumpectomy in my right breast

Aug 1, 2011 06:01AM mammafox wrote:

So, I ended up calling the oncologist and he said No you cannot take raloxifene, because you are not post menopausal and you cannot take tamoxifen because you do not have the enzyme to activate.  I have 25% chance over my lifetime of getting breast cancer/1 in 4 chance.  

The oncologist wants me to keep my D3 levels up and to keep taking the curcumin.  He said that if I have any questions or find a lump to call.  He doesn't want me to get mammograms or mri's at this point.