Join Us

We are 216,686 members in 84 forums discussing 160,147 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: What is your reourrance rate?

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Jun 9, 2007 02:28PM

Auntbiz wrote:

Not sure where to post this. I had post it in another forum but I think it was the wrong place.

I am stage 2b, tumor size 3.5, grade 3 tumor, ER+, PR+, HER2 -. I had 4 A/C, 4 Taxol , 28 radiation treatments, 3 years of tamoxifen. My blood work in January showed I was postmenopausal so my doctor switch me to AI. I tried aromasin, arimedex and Femara all thrre had side effects. I am currently on femara until i see my ONC in July. I need to decide to either go back on Tamoxifen while on it I had 2 biospy to rule out uterine cancer. I was hoping to quit Hormone Treatment all together but when I talked to my ONC last week and asked what was my reoccurance rate if I stopped. She was not able to answer me due to the fact no studies have been down for 3 years of Hormone Treatment. She gave two treatment options and the rate of reoccurance with

**TAMOXIFEN for the remander of the five years 35 percent.

**Finished the remainder of the five years with an AI
27 percent for reoccurance.

I guess I do not remember it being this high when I was first dx with breast cancer in May 03.

Sorry, so long. What are others reoccurance rate?
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Dx 5/22/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jun 10, 2007 06:43AM Beesie wrote:

I'm assuming you had a lumpectomy; did you have clean margins after your surgery? And was there any sign of either lymphatic or vascular invasion? I'm guessing that you did have some lymph node involvement since you mention that you are stage 2B with a tumor of 3.5cm. Otherwise, with a tumor of under 5cm but no lymph node involvement, you would have been staged as 2A. Lymphatic or vascular invasion does increase your recurrence risk so the general range of the figures your doctor provided does make sense, but after chemo and 3 years of hormone therapy, I'm surprised that your risk would still be as high as your doctor said.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke
Log in to post a reply

Jun 10, 2007 06:54AM GreenHeron wrote:

I had the same path and treatment as you did, beginning with dx in 03. Treatment put me in chemopause, so I went right to Arimidex (side effects at first, worked through them, gone after a few months) but switched to Femara, which is easier for me (no side effects I notice) and I will be on until the 5 years are up. There are no concluded studies re efficacy for AI over length of time...so I will decide in Sept '07 (5 year anniversary from beginning ai) what to do.

That all said, I don't know about the percentages, and ours are now different (I did a proph bilateral mast and an ooph), but my feelings at the time was this: I did the most intensive treatment I could, because for me, the percentages are not to be played with, as a game. If it has proven to statistically increase my chances of survival, I'll take it.

AI have proven to be effective in reducing recurrance. I'm still on it.

Good luck to you,
Flashdif
Log in to post a reply

Jun 10, 2007 03:24PM Auntbiz wrote:

Thanks for your responses. I had mastectomy (sp) The tumor was about to attached itself to the chest wall. My surgeon put a dot a piece of paper with her pen and said this was how close it was to attaching itself to the chest wall. I forgot to put that in.

Dx 5/22/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Jun 25, 2007 04:15PM bemslie wrote:

I am really up_tight right now. I don't think I received any clear answers. I think I am a stage 2b at least that what my onc says. I am trying to figure out if I am high risk. 3cm tumor 4 positve nodes I think I am a grade 3 tumor. I hate the thought of looking at my path report. Almost 2 years since dx. I am always feaking out about it coming back. I am 44 years old. Kid 23 girl, 19 girl and 11 year old boy. All I want is to become a grandma someday and grow old with my family. I started reading all these websites where you can get your survial rate and mine looked so grim. I am fed up. I just want to live!!!

Log in to post a reply

Jun 25, 2007 04:24PM Auntbiz wrote:

I asked my ONC. what my reoccurance rate would be because I wanted to stop the hormone treatment due to my side effects. At this point, I am continuning them and will have a fuller discussion with her in July. Remember if you have a a 25% chance of reoccurance you have a 75% chance of it not reoccuring. We have to think positive. I know it can be hard.
Elizabeth
Dx 5/22/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)