Join Us

We are 216,745 members in 84 forums discussing 160,184 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Healing after Excisional Biopsy

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Oct 23, 2007 02:25PM - edited Oct 23, 2007 02:25PM by turnberry

turnberry wrote:

I had an excisional biopsy done about one month ago.  I was justing wondering how long it usually takes to heal from it.  My incision looks good but I have a lot of hard tissue in that area above it.  Does this typically go away?  Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Oct 23, 2007 05:19PM - edited Mar 19, 2008 09:57AM by TenderIsOurMight

Hello Turnberry,

It's good to hear from you!

A month is a relatively short time for the tissue remodeling which will occur after a "space" was created by your biopsy. So, hard tissue on the top of the incision or on the bottom is usually not a sign anything is amiss, but perhaps inflammatory cells came in to do their "remodeling" of the area: they eradicate old blood, they digest old suture, and they mop up so to speak. This may take up to 6 to 8 weeks with a good size incision.

Your incision edges have healed well and you don't report having a hematoma after the surgery (blood collection which drained some). The later certainly can give you hardness and take longer to heal.

Perhaps give it a couple more weeks and if no change, you could go seek your surgeon's attention.

All the best,
Tender

It cannot be emphasized too strongly that treatment of each patient is a highly individualized matter. (FDA-approved labeling for warfarin (Coumadin) NDA 9-218/5-105)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)