Posted on: Feb 4, 2008 01:05AM
Hey girls. So glad you are all here!
I have a strong family history of breat cancer...sister diagnosed at age 40, mother who had stage 3..a paternal grandmother and paternal aunt also had bc. I have very dense breast tissue was recently found to have a lesion in one breast on a mammogram and sent for ultrasound which showed 3 lesions. Did biopsy...all are benign. Prior to the biopsy doc said I would have MRI after. But after good results, doc said just do mamo and ultrasound in 6 months. Radiologist who did ultrasound wanted an MRI follow up. I am confused by the change in plan and offered no real explanation. I would prefer MRI just to know that I left no stone unturned. On the other had it could cause more aggrivation..find more benign cysts that will be biopsied. Any words of wisdon or advice as to wether to push for MRI. Also, I did not have ultrasound of other breast and due to dense tissue feel this was not reall check out enough. Would be easy to wait 6 months..but don't know if that is the right thing to do.Log in to post a reply
Posts 1 - 30 (31 total)
Feb 4, 2008 06:18PM awb wrote:
Peppi--I would go for the MRI (because of the strong family history and the dense breast tissue) just to be safe.
Feb 4, 2008 08:00PM cat wrote:
I would not get overly worried about mri. They have many false positives. I was dx with high grade dcis after biopsy. The radiologist said she could not read my mammogram because of very dense breast and ordered mri. On my mri report she stated that she could not rule out bilateral invasive cancer. She also said that one ax. node showed slight increased activity.
I went to a breast surgeon who laughed at the mri report. First- she said mri should only be done at a certain time of a womens cycle and of course my was at the worst possible time, when there is increased activity in breast. Second- mri is not a good test for lymph node involvement. I just had biopsy 5 days prior and they also put iv w/contrast on that side. She believed that was causing the lymph node activity. Surgeon had no problem reading mam.- said all 40 year olds have dense breast. Anyway she would have to remove half of my breast to get all of the cancer, so I decided to have a bi lat mas. for my peace of mind.
Surgeon was totally right with dx and radiologist was totally off. My left breast was only the dcis and right was normal breast tissue. I still do no regret my decision for bi-lat.
My point is, you should get a second opinion from a good breast surgeon.
Feb 5, 2008 07:24AM cayenneblue32 wrote:
I would absolutely ask for an MRI! I had a breast cancer that was not seen at all on my mammogram (very dense breasts), but showed up loud and clear on the MRI.
I hate to think what would have happened if it wasn't for that MRI. Who knows what stage it would have been when it was finally big enough to show....... if ever!
Feb 5, 2008 07:49AM Jen44 wrote:
I would push for MRI. I also had very dense breasts. I had two lumpectomies done on right side for 2 cm IDC found by ultrasound with 3 positive, not mamo. Had ultrasound done on left, twice, and was found clear. Onco decided to do MRI before starting chemo. Turns out I had cancer there too. Had bi-lat and it was a 1.7 cm IDC with 5 positive lymph nodes. Turned out I also had another 4mm IDC in my original right breast that hadn't shown up anywhere. I thank GOD everyday that the MRI was done. Otherwise I would have gone through all of this only to have to go through it again later, or worse. So I definitely think the MRI is a good idea even if you do have biopsies done and it turns out to be nothing. Keep praying that is how it turns out.
Feb 5, 2008 08:55AM Peppi1 wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the responses. I know have a script for the MRI. I know it can show false positive and benign stuff..but it's better to get to the bottom of things I guess. My sister is having a masectomy this week..so I will wait until she gets through that..focus on her right now, then go.
Ripley, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. My sister is also highgrade DCIS...very large area..has to do mascectomy. No lymphs involved so what a relief..but still to go through this ..not easy.
I think I will need a valium to get through MRI...will let you know what happens!
Feb 5, 2008 12:01PM dink wrote:
I'm Leesa and I have DCIS and I know it's not as concerning as yours but my concerns were that I have very dense breasts and I have always been scared of having cancer because it's hard to see due to the tissue and all the cysts. I have gone from a "C" cup to "DD" cup due to cysts. I demanded a MRI and "it threw up many flags" according tot he radiologist. When they looked at the MRI closer there was a sopt that concerned them so I did a sonogram and a mammogram. According to the radiologist the sonogram and mammogram didn't really look concerning but because of the MRI he didn't want to take any chances. I'm glad he didn't because when the tumor and cyst were removed there were abnormal cells noted. The surgeon I have is extra cautious and took extra tissue from around the arear and my cancer cells were found in the extra tissue and not where they were looking. You can never be too careful. Good luck to you and I'll keep you in my prayers. (By the way: I go today at 1:30 to see if I start Tamoxifen.)
Feb 5, 2008 12:08PM dink wrote:
I forgot - I've had a partial hysterectomy and still have my ovaries. My mom's side of the family has no history of breast cancers so the doctors said this could never happen. My grandson is very in touch with his senses and he's the one that kept asking me if I was sick and going to leave him and the only thing I could think of was that it was time for my mammogram. Don't ignore your intuition but also know the difference from intuition and what's possibly real. My grandson (4 years old) is the one who tells my daughter when she's pregnant before she even thinks she is. His little personality changes when he's worried or concerned. He asks weiird questions like: "Are you going to leave me?" "When will you be ok?" Spooky but I have my live little guardian angel as well as my heavenly angels so trust yourself and do what you have to do.
Feb 5, 2008 01:57PM carolsie wrote:
I am new to this conversation about my recent positive biopsy for breast cancer. I think I will be getting an MRI soon. I will see my surgen tomorrow to discuss the next step.
Can anyone out there discuss with me the possible steps I can expect?
Thank you very much.
Feb 5, 2008 04:32PM dink wrote:
I went to my appointment at 1:30 and it didn't go so good. I will be having another lumectomy with a cyst removal on the same breast again next Wed. I'm not even two month post radiation treatment and starting over it feels like. Sorry if this brings anyone down, but it will all be okay and I don't think I will have anything to worry about. The surgeon said he didn't want to do the us or mammo, we're just going in.
Feb 6, 2008 01:17AM crazydaisy wrote:
Hey dink, sorry you gotta do that again but it is not uncommon to have to go back in to get better margins. Many women go thru it more than once to get it all with a good margin. Hopefully that works for you this time. Good luck!
Feb 6, 2008 01:20AM crazydaisy wrote:
Carol.......your next steps will really depend on what your diagnosis is. Do you know that yet??? Once you do the ladies here can help answer your questions alot better.
Feb 6, 2008 12:26PM dink wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. The area they are going in is not near the same area. It's by the areola area and the first one was towards the axillary area but it's the same breast. Does this ever really stop. Now I'm getting a little discouraged but I am hanging in there. My husband is really angry.
I was thinking that several of the women on this site had fibrous cystic disease and my question is, if you have your cyst drained and the fluid is negative for cancer cells and then they remove the cyst itself and have it tested has anyone's ever come back positive for cancer cells? How soon do your cysts refill after they are drained? Mine refill in two to three days and a lot of the time they are larger than before.
Feb 6, 2008 12:42PM Peppi1 wrote:
My sister had her biopsy which showed malignant. She was then sent for MRI to get better idea of extent of things ect.. MRI showed another lesion in left breast (the one with cancer) and a lesion in right breast which did not show on mamo. She was then sent for MRI guided biopsy for lesion in right breast...they did not do the same for the left breast as they had already determined she needs to have a mascectomy..and will check the tissue to see what that was once they remove the breast..this week. I am sure that other, especially those who have been diagnosed with bc will have a better idea of what you will need to do ect.. I am so sorry to hear your biopsy was positive. ....I just keep hearing that breast cancer is very treatable. I wish you all the best in your treatment.
Feb 7, 2008 02:29PM PSK07 wrote:
I just came across this...I was wondering how your appointment went. Crap. Surgery again...do they think it was just left-overs? I thought rads were killed extraneous cells?
I wish you much strength.
Feb 8, 2008 05:07AM - edited Feb 8, 2008 05:08AM by twinkly
Get the MRI if you have to change doctors six times to do so.
I also have dense breast tissue and found the first lump (lumpectomy) and the second lump two and a half years later (bilat mast with nodes involved).
It's possible the second lump has been there longer than the first lump, but no MRI was done at the time.
Everyone agrees, the faster you can find it, the better chance you have of surviving....don't let any doctor take this knowledge away from you.
If the MRI shows something, yes, it could be false positives, but wouldn't you like to investigate every potential occurrence, so you know for sure??
...swim deep, where the waters are calm...
Dx 10/10/2007, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 1, 6/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Feb 8, 2008 12:41PM dink wrote:
I thought the radiation killed everything also. The doctor said it concerned him because the cysts grew in numbers and there was an area that he couldn't tell if it was a cyst or tissue changes due to the radiation. He wanted to go in and remove the cyst and look at the other area in question and maybe remove it also. The problem was he withdrew 10cc's of fluid from the cyst but it refilled within two days. He said to be on the safe side he wanted to make sure the cells were ok and not in the cyst borders themselves. I think he has gotten a little nervous due to what happened and "wasn't suppose to occur."
My doctor is very cautious but I did tell him that this time if it came back positive with hyperplasia cells or caancer cells of any kind, I wanted the bilateral mastectomy to avoid any recurrences. This episode scared everyone I think.
Thanks for your concern. I hope things are going well with you.
Feb 18, 2008 11:36AM dink wrote:
I got the results from the biopsies: they were both cysts (one one a solid cyst). No cancer cancer cells but positive hyperplasia cells. This is nerve racking because these cells are changed from the regular cells and eventually become cancerous. I have a checkup on Wed. and have the sutures removed. All is well just tired.
Thanks for the prayers,
Feb 26, 2008 06:29PM Kimber wrote:
Sorry I didn't read your thread sooner - I would have told you to push for the MRI. It saved my life! I had my results in 48 business hours. With your family history (I have about the same history) you should, to.
Good luck to you!
Feb 27, 2008 11:16AM LinS wrote:
I am having an MRI monday...after having biopsy done.I have huge family history of breast cancer and now I have 2 lumps(IDC) that are positive for cancer.i am petrified and even though it has been only 2 days since the "dreaded call" came..i am a wreck!!!!! I am hoping someone else out there can give me some advice.? I am 39..have 2 kids and a loving husband...This whole thing has sorta made me feel paralized. I havent had much good sleep and have had many anxiety atttacks..My primary care DR. gave me xanax for the panic attacks....Has there been anyone else out there who feels the same??? Im a wreck...
Feb 27, 2008 03:12PM msannie57 wrote:
Dink, Sorry about all the stuff you are having to endure. I wanted to comment about one of your postings though. You said that the doctors said that you couldn't be having breast cancer since no one else in your family had it? That is completely false. The majority of women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have NO family history. Please tell those doctors that. They can go to the ACS for confirmation of that fact.
LinS: It is OK to be freaked out--most women would be. Take the Xanax and try to get sleep when you can. Soon you will be able to find out your diagnosis and have a plan of action. You will feel better when there is something you can actually do to fight this. Post back when you have the information and MANY great women will post their experiences and support for you. It's a great site. Don't forget to let us know what is going on.
Mar 10, 2008 02:04PM dink wrote:
msannie or anyone:
I had a partial hysterectomy at age 25 but still have my ovaries. My left ovary area has been ginving me fits and the pain is getting worse. Of course during all this DCIS mess my bladder fell. I am to see my GYN on Wed. March 12, 2008, should I push for a sonogram of the avaries to see if there are any masses or would there even be the possiblity of ovarian cancer. I'm sure I have the gene because the only cancer is from dad's side of the family. I'm nervous to ask for one but I'm very concerned.
Mar 11, 2008 11:58AM Hannahbanana wrote:
I agree with what was said about no familty history that should not be a guide to say that you wouldn't get it.
I have bc and mother passed away from overian cancer at 56 which I have found is connected to the gene that is there for bc too. I did not know this until after dx. The only reason they found my dcis was my demotolist dx my paget's and then ordered a mri which showed the dcis. Had the ultrasound and mamo a few months prior which was clear. The doctor at the breast center (specialist in reviewing results) said not to worry about the rash (symptoms of Paget's) since everything came back clear. If the rash had not been painfull I would have gone around with dcis until it showed it's ugly head. So I would push for the MRI the center should be able to schedule it between your cycle. Mine was done a few days past the best time so the good breast was not a perfect picture but the bc breast showed fine. Surgeon said I would get another in 6 months. They are not cheap but worth the piece of mind and a base line.
Mar 11, 2008 09:51PM - edited Mar 11, 2008 09:52PM by Marian
I had regular mamo's, had sonagrams and a digital mamo all negative for anything that same week I had an MRI and there it was DCIS hiding from all that other equipment.
MRI's, as they get tech and radiologists up and running will be incorporated into our routines and then eventually, hopefully they will get rid of the mamo.. The MRI's do pick up many falses but they pick up almost everything it is just about the cost that they are not used more regularly or they would be the test of choice. If the goal is to caught cancer at it's earlies stage then MRI's have recently been proven to do that better and safer than any of the other tests. Sonograms can continue but anything that exposes our breasts to radiation (no matter how little) should be eliminated and soon since they now have the capability (MRI).. The cost will drop as they are used more often just like 80% of all of our other medical tests..
Insist on the MRI's they might actually save your life without damaging effects..
Right now, I know that mamo's are what is most readily available to the general population - that will change and soon! MRI's are here to stay and if your doc doesn't understand that then educate them!
Mar 12, 2008 05:15PM dink wrote:
I wen to the doctor today and we are doing an abdominal/pelvic sonogram in the morning (3-13-08) to check the pelvic area and the left ovary mainly. I did the CA125 ovarian cancer test today. I have several new problems but won't go into them at this time. Being 44 years old is very hard on me at this time. Thanks for the suggestions and I did discuss everything with my GYN and these are the first steps. If something comes back positive, he wants to send me to an oncologist and go from there. I'll keep you up-dated as I find out things.