We are 226,797 members in 82 forums discussing 158,971 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Great Newspaper Article

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Mar 2, 2008 02:23PM

lewisfamily503 wrote:

Hi All, The Oregonian published a story today about a family of sisters who have lost their mother to breast cancer. They all have the genetic link and call it the "Boulanger Curse." It was an uplifting story showing their struggle and worries for their own children and I thought you might enjoy reading it.

Here is the link: www.oregonlive.com/living/oreg...

Anne

Anne Dx 10/19/2007, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Mar 2, 2008 02:53PM otter wrote:

Thanks for posting that, Anne.

I have a referral to meet with a genetics counselor in about 3 wks.  There is no ovarian cancer in my family, but my maternal g-mother and one of my mom's cousins had BC pre-menopause.  That, plus a scattering of prostate cancer among male relatives on that same side of the family prompted my surgeon to make the referral.

I still don't know if I would agree to be tested for BRCA, though.  For one thing, I don't think my insurance would pay for it.  There aren't enough first-degree cases of BC and/or ovarian cancer to meet their criteria.  The problem is, there aren't enough females on that side of the family to provide a good sample size; and I don't think they count prostate cancer in their formula for "medical necessity."

Good story about a strong family.  Thanks.

otter 

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 2, 2008 04:48PM honeygirl wrote:

Great story of some courageous women. Thanks Anne. Melody

Dx 2/20/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)