Topic: High Risk for Breast Cancer? Start Here

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Sep 1, 2011 10:54AM - edited May 18, 2022 04:42AM by moderators

Posted on: Sep 1, 2011 10:54AM - edited May 18, 2022 04:42AM by moderators

moderators wrote:

Helpful information for those who are at high risk for breast cancer:

Some suggestions from the main Breastcancer.org site:

In addition, there are also important Discussion Board threads for those at high risk for breast cancer, where you can find and ask for advice from others who are where you are, or from those who have been there:

Or, post right here in the High Risk for Breast Cancer forum.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 3 of 4 (33 results)

Mar 11, 2017 10:55PM chisandy wrote:

Melissa, so right! My PCP opened my eyes as to how the body wants to remain in a state of homeostasis when it comes to blood chemistry, and how successful it usually is—despite how we supplement or try to deplete it!.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 12, 2017 06:54AM brca2chick wrote:

I have received different medical guidance regarding pH - science isn't as black and white as we like to think. Two people can look at the same experiment and come to different conclusions.

Everyone should do their own research and talk to their own physicians.

39 yo Mom of 2 boys (5, 6); daughter of a 2 time survivor now living with MBC. Surgery 1/30/2017 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap

Mar 25, 2017 08:46AM NicolaSue wrote:

Synergy - I too have LCIS and like you I would love to be told to do A B or C and categorically it will lower risk. It is a bewildering world of possible drugs, possible surgery etc. Add to that new advice which says exercise 5 times a week if possible PLUS 1-2 weight bearing sessions (um how does one do that with a job and a family...) and then avoid alcohol etc etc. I think the time after diagnosis and before accepting a 'preventive' plan that one is happy with is the most scary time of all. I have a friend with DCIS who says simply that she loves her life and apart from stopping smoking she's sticking with all else that she's done for years. I am at the stage of not knowing what I personally wish to do. The uncertainty of having no certainty is very difficult to deal with. I am sure we will get there in time! Sue

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Vacuum excision biopsy. First follow up mammo 2018 - clear

Mar 25, 2017 09:02AM melissadallas wrote:

https://hub.jhu.edu/2017/03/23/cancer-mutations-ca...

Pretty much what most of us have believed for a long time. Most cancers are a result of "copying" mistakes, therefore, there is not a great deal we can do to prevent it. Not saying being healthy by eating well & exercising isn't being smart, but we have a lot less control over what happens than sometimes we are led to believe. I do believe that if we are particularly high risk, tamoxifen or an AI significantly cuts our risk. Will I blame myself for getting cancer for having a drink or piece of cake or grilled meat, or being heavier than I should blah, blah, blah. Nope. We have said forever that there were a lot of thin, vegetarian runners who ended up here anyway

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor. Dx 5/20/2012, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/0 nodes

Mar 25, 2017 01:17PM dAd wrote:

Unfortunately far too many people seem to think they can exert control over their cancer or their liklihood of developing cancer through weird diets or by ingesting weird cocktails of supplements and other snake oils. Some lifestyle habits may impact our susceptibility to cancer but, for the most part, it's a crap shoot.

dAd

Mar 30, 2017 08:49AM NicolaSue wrote:

So I wonder what IS a sensible risk-reduction approach with LCIS then?

I'm now around 6 weeks post diagnosis and seen a few doctors and now have a surveillance plan. All the doctors took a sharp intake of breath when they read LCIS on the pathology (I think they all expected it to be poor pathology and that the pathology reviews would show it wasn't LCIS...it WAS!). So after they do their intake of breath and strange face thing, then I ask what I can actually DO. Not much gets said. So in my case I've decided on the following:

More exercise (though not the 5 plus per week recommended just going up from 1 to 2 but I will do 2 every week without fail)

Cutting out almost all alcohol

Sleeping more

Diet.....not yet decide what, if anything to change.

NicolaSue

LCIS diagnosed Spring 2017. Vacuum excision biopsy. First follow up mammo 2018 - clear

Sep 13, 2017 10:01AM Synergy wrote:

I have LCIS and atypical hyperplasia and was told my risk was 50% of cancer. I called the Cancer hotline (cancer.gov) and they said my risk is 35%… I agree with Nicola. I am supposed to get a breast MRI in six months. I gotta ask why we don't have better plan for high risk breast that don't involve extreme measures or dangerous drugs? Why is there minimal research in PREVENTION of cancer?

Sep 13, 2017 10:04AM - edited Sep 13, 2017 10:07AM by Synergy

This Post was deleted by Synergy.

Oct 26, 2017 02:37PM - edited Nov 3, 2017 11:45AM by di2012

This Post was deleted by di2012.
Mentor 600cc HP gels moved towards armpits & exchanged 3/26/15 to Allergan410MF-580cc. Surgery 12/21/2012 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Surgery 1/21/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 4/15/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 7/15/2013 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Surgery 12/31/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Nipple reconstruction Surgery 3/26/2015 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 7/14/2015 Reconstruction (Left) Dx 1cm

Mar 8, 2018 10:19PM hapi2bee wrote:

My daughter who is BRCA1 positive, had a bilateral mastectomy and oophorectomy at age 40 after a DCIS diagnosis. That was ten years ago and she has had no negative side effects (she loves her new boobs). Her decision was based on family history, I - her mother had stage 3 ovarian cancer at age 51, surgery and chemo -- 22 years later have been diagnosed with BC, DCIS. Scheduled for DMX next month with no reconstruction. My ovarian tumor was estrogen positive, my DCIS is estrogen negative.....it is all very confusing even to an old broad. My concern now is whether my insurance will cover the treatment. Good Luck from another newbie

Page 3 of 4 (33 results)

Scroll to top button