We are 217,545 members in 81 forums discussing 154,231 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: BCO Podcast Series: Prophylactic Surgery for Women at High Risk

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: May 12, 2016 05:51AM

Moderators wrote:

Dr. Alan Stolier, M.D., F.A.C.S is a surgeon at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans. He has more than 35 years of experience in surgical oncology. He specializes in the surgical treatment of breast cancer and is a pioneer in the development of nipple-sparing mastectomy. Dr. Stolier also focuses on breast cancer genetics and the associated care of women who have a BRCA gene mutation.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

May 12, 2016 05:53AM - edited Jun 1, 2016 01:20PM by Moderators

Prophylactic Surgery for Women at High Risk: Part 1, May 11, 2016

Dr. Alan Stolier is a surgeon at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans. He has more than 35 years of experience in surgical oncology. He specializes in the surgical treatment of breast cancer and is a pioneer in the development of nipple-sparing mastectomy. Dr. Stolier also focuses on breast cancer genetics and the associated care of women who have a BRCA gene mutation.

Listen to the podcast to hear Dr. Stolier talk about:

• how much each type of prophylactic surgery (breast, ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus) can reduce risk
  • who is most likely to benefit from prophylactic surgery
  • women who shouldn't consider prophylactic surgery
  • whether there is an optimal age for prophylactic surgery

Running time: 27:01

Listen now.

Jun 1, 2016 01:21PM Moderators wrote:

Prophylactic Surgery for Women at High Risk: Part 2, May 18, 2016

Dr. Alan Stolier is a surgeon at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans. He has more than 35 years of experience in surgical oncology. He specializes in the surgical treatment of breast cancer and is a pioneer in the development of nipple-sparing mastectomy. Dr. Stolier also focuses on breast cancer genetics and the associated care of women who have a BRCA gene mutation.

Listen to the podcast to hear Dr. Stolier talk about:

• the timing of prophylactic surgery
  • other genetic mutations besides BRCA1 or BRCA2 that might make a woman consider prophylactic surgery
  • the type of screening program recommended for a woman who's had prophylactic surgery
  • how often cancer is found during prophylactic surgery

Running time: 24:13

Listen now.

Nov 29, 2016 02:34PM Ginger_16 wrote:

These podcasts were very helpful to me . I am BRCA 2 positive and have a predisposition to ovarian cancer since my biological mother passed from ovarian cancer at an early age . I am approaching her age when she died now . I will be facing removal of my ovaries and tubes as soon as they can come out , trying to complete menopause if I can with careful monitoring . I also fear the lack of detection with the waiting . I am more worried about my ovaries than breasts , but I am considered high risk for breast cancer and have been told that I should have the mastectomy done . With the careful monitoring is it very possible they could miss a cancer if I wait and see ?

Nov 30, 2016 03:09PM Moderators wrote:

Ginger_16,

We're so happy to hear that these podcasts were helpful to you! It's our mission here to help provide as much helpful and accurate information as possible to all of our members in order to help them make the best decision for their lives.

Careful monitoring is definitely an option for those who have tested positive for a genetic mutation. For more information on this option, as well as the other options available for positive genetic mutations, please see our page on What to Do If Your Genetic Test Results Are Positive.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)