We are 217,545 members in 81 forums discussing 154,231 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Savi Scout, anyone?

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Jan 4, 2018 09:52PM

teachermomfl wrote:

My appointments are all scheduled. Had my EKG yesterday. MRI and bloodwork are Jan. 15. Excisional biopsy scheduled for Feb. 2. We were trying to shoot for Jan. 19, but it’s too close to MRI date, and surgeon wanted to wait. I will have a Savi Scout seed implanted the week before biopsy. I guess this takes the place of the wired which are typically used. Has anyone had this done before? I’m curious if there’s any discomfort from the seed.

Diagnosis: ADH-12/26/17

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jan 5, 2018 02:49AM - edited Jan 5, 2018 08:31PM by chronicpain

I had one a week before my11/22/17 surgery. Skin got numbed and after that I felt nothing. The seed area ached a little when the anesthetic wore off a few hours later, motrin level, that was it.

After a decade of autoimmune problems, Dx 10/2017 at age 63, IDC, Left, 9mm, Oncotype 13, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, 11/22/2017 Lumpectomy, Arimidex. Declined radiation.

Jan 5, 2018 12:12PM teachermomfl wrote:

Good to know. Thank you. It will be implanted about a week prior to surgery. My only concern is placement. I had a stereo biopsy a few weeks ago. It was pretty uncomfortable. Due to location, I had to put my breast and my arm through the little hole.

Jan 5, 2018 12:23PM beach2beach wrote:

Hi Teacher,

I had that done. Seed didnt hurt. For me, because of where it was they had a hard time getting it close to the area also So I was getting xray(mammos) then they would have to stick me then pull it back out..but I had numbing agent prior..so what I really only felt was pulling and tugging until they got to the right spot. After that i was ok.

Dx 7/28/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/8/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 9/11/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 5, 2018 12:36PM teachermomfl wrote:

Thank you for the reply! I checked My insurance company, and it looks as though they consider the Savi Scout to be experimental. I haven't heard anything from surgeon’s office, so I hope they’ll be able to get it approved. It sounds much more comfortable than the wires. Fingers c

Jan 5, 2018 08:35PM chronicpain wrote:

My Blue Cross Blue Shield covered it per their usual pay protocols, did not consider it experimental, surgeon did not have to argue.

Anyone out there have it covered under Medicare or Medicaid or VA?Most insurances cue off of these government funding sources for coverage approvals, so if MC and MA cover it, your doc and you could argue it is not “experimental.”

After a decade of autoimmune problems, Dx 10/2017 at age 63, IDC, Left, 9mm, Oncotype 13, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, 11/22/2017 Lumpectomy, Arimidex. Declined radiation.

Jan 5, 2018 09:34PM teachermomfl wrote:

Good question. I’m with Aetna. Has anyone out therehad this covered through them??

Jan 4, 2019 06:05PM Fuzzyboots wrote:

I had a Savi Scout inserted today. I read about it and THOUGHT it would not be painful. My tumor is deep. When the radiologist got it deep enough to hit the tumor, I experienced a jolt of pain and jumped. Of course the doctor told me I had to hold still. Good luck with that with that level of sharp pain. I tried not to cry, but I cried. The tech and doc were kind and patient with me, but it hurt. After the procedure was done I felt nothing. No bleeding either. Take a Xanax or a high powered pain med, if you have it, before you undergo this procedure.

Jan 4, 2019 06:52PM Moderators wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Fuzzyboots! We can imagine that was an incredibly painful experience, but we hope you've gone on to not have any issues!

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Mar 15, 2019 11:49PM UpstateNYer wrote:

I had savi scout inserted today, surgery is next week. My gosh, it really was unpleasant. My tumor is also fairly deep at the 8:30 position in right breast. Hope my lumpectomy goes better.

Dx 2/6/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)