Join Us

We are 217,613 members in 84 forums discussing 160,652 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: New Bi-Rad 3 Mass - should I get a biopsy

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Jun 14, 2018 10:39PM - edited Jun 14, 2018 11:12PM by FabFive

FabFive wrote:

I am 37 years old and have a strong family history of breast cancer - for the past 4 generations every woman on my mothers side has had it. Including my mom at age 55 and my sister at age 36. I am the only one that hasn't. All of us have been negative for BRCA1 and BRCA2. So I started screenings at 30. I had a breast MRI earlier this week and they found a new 6mm mass that is categorized as Bi-Rad 3. It is 5mm from the nipple and I have some tenderness there but it is not palpable. My doctor just said to wait 6 months and repeat the MRI. So it's super small and didn't look that concerning to the doctor. My concern is that we know it wasn't on the MRI last year and it didn't show on my mammogram in August either so we already know it is new. With my family history should I be pushing for a biopsy or just chill and wait the 6 months? I don't want to be the super anxious patient but I also don't want to sit and wait if it is a problem

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jun 14, 2018 11:02PM Texasmom123 wrote:

I would push for biopsy. BIRADS 3 is “probably benign”, but there’s really no such thing. It either is or it isn’t.

DX at age 40 Dx 2/2018, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/21/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement
Log in to post a reply

Jun 15, 2018 06:34AM NancyHB wrote:

I’m sorry you find yourself here with worry, understandably so with your family history. Even with that in mind, though, you may be hard pressed to find a doctor willing to biopsy something noted Birads 3, which is in general considered a benign finding. If there was any concern about the scan your report would be a 4 or higher. MRIs are notorious for finding everything little thing, too. Biopsies create scar tissue, too, which can eventually make discerning scans more difficult. You sound like you’re in a good place for 6 months, but if you’re really concerned I encourage you to talk this through with your doctor to explore your options. Good luck!
"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/5/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/19/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/12/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/15/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 3/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/21/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Dx 1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone
Log in to post a reply

Jun 15, 2018 03:08PM FabFive wrote:

I sent a message to my high risk doctor just to have her review the radiologist report and make sure she's ok with waiting. If she says she is good with it then I am ok waiting. I think my concern comes from the fact that it was not there on past MRI's and it is now so we already know it is a change - if it had shown on the baseline MRI I wouldn't worry at all. I think my other worry is just that the radiologist read the report and sent it to the nurse practitioner at my doctors office who called me but I am not sure if my actually high risk doctor reviewed it. My sisters was also Bi-rad 3 but because it was a change from the previous mammogram they biopsied it anyways and it turned out to be DCIS. Thanks for the input. Hopeful my doc can put me at ease.

Log in to post a reply

Jan 4, 2019 09:54PM FabFive wrote:

I went back after the 6 months and the mass is now 1.2 cm so it has doubled in size. Both the ultrasound and mammogram are clean and cannot see the mass. So they have to send me in for a MRI biopsy next week. So we will see.

Log in to post a reply

Jan 13, 2019 04:46PM Stherye wrote:

Good luck Fabfive,

It is peobably something benign (there are so many benign conditions) I hab birads 4a two times and both were papillomas, one of them atypical but not cancer.

Maybe it is adh. Anyway, if they catch something it will be very very early.

Intraductal Papilloma with FEA - 2018 Surgery 10/18/2018 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right
Log in to post a reply

Jan 14, 2019 03:26PM - edited Jan 14, 2019 03:28PM by Each_day_2018

You have to be your own advocate. Given your details, I would push for a biopsy. That way you can know either way and wont be worrying for months and months. I had a palpable lump that did not show up on mammogram or ultrasound. The breast specialist said it was 'probably' nothing and didn't recommend biopsy, esp because of my age (29 at the time). I don't have a strong family history of breast cancer, so I let it go. I've also had fibroadenomas in each breast since I was a teenager, so I was never really overly concerned about a new lump.

Well, here I am 31 with stage III breast cancer. If I'd pushed for a biopsy 2 years ago, my treatment may not have been so aggressive now...and let me tell you, chemo is no joke and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Good Luck, and I hope everything works out for you!

Diagnosed at age 31. Dx 6/28/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 3/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/6/2018, LCIS, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, 3/4 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 9/6/2018 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/11/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 4/28/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 8/29/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Jan 14, 2019 03:54PM KBeee wrote:

You definitely need a biopsy. Additionally, even though you have tested negative for BRCA gene, you should have full panel genetic testing. I have a similar family history, and for us it is the CHEK2 gene that seems to be the culprit. Keep us posted.

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/26/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/20/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/12/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/23/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/25/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/31/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/25/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)