Join Us

We are 216,155 members in 84 forums discussing 160,116 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: ​Rats! Thought I was in the clear…

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Jul 26, 2018 06:36PM

DeepWaters wrote:

Well, I thought benign biopsies meant I didn't have cancer. Silly me! Now the BS says I still have a 20% chance. I thought the MRI guided biopsy removed my multiple papilloma since the discharged stopped following the procedure. But BS said most likely the ducts were still swollen and that the discharge would return. Sure enough….I hate it when they're right! LOL Anyway, she says there are likely more papilloma in the duct and that we need to removed them to look for hidden DCIS.

Someone recently asked a similar question but I'd like to pose it again if you ladies don't mind. Who here had a benign biopsy but then they found BC upon excisional biopsy of papilloma(s)?

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jul 27, 2018 06:39PM Stherye wrote:

Hi Deepwaters, I had a papilloma removed last March, the first biopsy showed some mild atypia called FEA. That increases the risk of something worse inside or near the papilloma. Thank God I got the same diagnosis after the papilloma was remiced. Four months forward, I have a new papilloma and I had a MRI test done last week, Thank God again it only shows this new papilloma and it is benign. My doctor told me i could have it removed after holidays but i have chosen doing it next monday.

So, stay positive, you have 80% chances it is only a papilloma, and even though it could be in the other 20% it doesnt mean is cancer, it could have FEA or ADH

I wish you all the best

Intraductal Papilloma with FEA - 2018 Surgery 10/18/2018 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right
Log in to post a reply

Jul 30, 2018 12:06PM DeepWaters wrote:

Stherye, thanks for the response! It's good to hear from someone who had a similar experience and got good results. It looks from the date of your post that you may be having the surgery today. I will certainly send up a prayer for you and am wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery!

I confess--I'm nervous about the cosmetic results. I'm not typically vain but I have smallish breasts (B cup) and removing any fat beneath the nipple can leave a "dent". I really would rather not have that. I'm sure it wouldn't show in a bra but, I don't know.... I just want to look normal when naked! LOL

Back to the medical aspects....Anyone else have a negative biopsy but different results when having a papilloma removed?

Log in to post a reply

Aug 18, 2018 11:41AM - edited Aug 18, 2018 11:41AM by sumair

Deep waters,

Please know your feelings about the appearance of your breast after is totally valid! How you feel is so important to your overall health. Praying for strength and peace!

Dx 10/14/2011, IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx DCIS Dx ILC
Log in to post a reply

Sep 21, 2018 12:49PM MrsHondy wrote:

Deep Waters, is the surgery under general anesthesia? I was just diagnosed today with papillomatosis and am meeting with the surgeon on Monday morning.

Log in to post a reply

Oct 6, 2018 10:42PM DeepWaters wrote:

Hi MrsHondy,

My surgery was done under a general. I'm not sure if it is always done that way. I had quite a bit going on in my right breast so a general was the best method.

I did have the radioactive seed placed via MRI that morning (not the "wire method" many describe here where you walk out of the MRI with a wire hanging out of your breast!) That was easy, as was the surgery itself, as was the recovery.

Good luck with your papilloma removal. Compared to my bilateral MRI guided biopsy, it was a snap!

Deep Waters

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)