We are 218,757 members in 81 forums discussing 154,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Family history and risk factors

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Aug 9, 2018 07:51PM

Erinashley19 wrote:

Maybe someone can break it down for me but up until recently I’ve been pretty ignorant of the breast cancer statistics. One thing I’ve learned is that something like 70% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have NO family history. Yet having a close relative with BC is still considered to raise your risk of getting it. What am I missing here because it seems to me that NOT having BC in the family is more of a risk according to that number lol. So what’s the deal? Are they just assuming that if you have family with bc then you potential carry one of the genes like brca1? I’ve gone my whole life being told my chances were so low because of the fact that there’s no cancer in my family anywhere.. Seems that doesn’t really make a difference! (Still haven’t been diagnosed.. Waiting on mammo later this month)

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)

Posts 31 (31 total)

Aug 14, 2018 05:01PM Erinashley19 wrote:

lcietla I’m going to for sure look into this water filtering system to posted. Sounds awesome! Thank you :

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)