We are 218,757 members in 81 forums discussing 154,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: ADH plus

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Apr 6, 2019 02:04PM

BB3312 wrote:

posted similar in another forum but appreciate feedback. CNB path showed 5mm mass with ADH but BS and radiologist feel there is malignancy based on mri and ultrasound. Another CNB was performed which took out the remainder of it (they think) Waiting now and extremely nervous

Reading here, it looks like most ADH cases end up malignant. Is that accurate? In the signatures, the lumpectomies didn’t seem to be the final treatment. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Log in to post a reply

Apr 6, 2019 02:22PM momoschki wrote:

Keep in mind that the people most likely to post here are the ones who have gotten a cancer dx. In my case, the ADH dx was just over 8 years and so far (fingers crossed), no further issues. I have been taking Evista for the past 4.5 years to lessen my risk. Also, it’s my understanding that ADH is upgraded to either DCIS or IDC upon excisional biopsy around 20% of the time.

ADH dx 3/11 Surgery 3/10/2011 Lumpectomy: Left
Log in to post a reply

Apr 6, 2019 03:15PM BB3312 wrote:

congrats to you! Did you have an mri? The radiologist wasn’t too hopeful for mine based on that.

Do you have mris and mammos more regularly as part of your treatment?

Log in to post a reply

Apr 6, 2019 03:51PM - edited Apr 6, 2019 03:52PM by momoschki

Yes, had an MRI before the excisional biopsy to make sure there was nothing else going on. Since then, I've had mammos annually, alternating with ultrasound and MRIs at 6 month intervals. I always see my BS for an exam afterwards. This year, however, we gave switched the regimen and eliminated the MRI due to concerns about the contrast agent (gadolinium) and will substitute alternating mammo and US going forward.

Have you had an excisional biopsy?

ADH dx 3/11 Surgery 3/10/2011 Lumpectomy: Left
Log in to post a reply

Apr 6, 2019 06:03PM BB3312 wrote:

After the mri, the radiologist went back in with another CNB and took the whole thing out (so pathology could examine it all) to know how to advise surgeon. Seemed concerned bc it’s a mass, albeit tiny. I’m so nervous.

I also don’t know whether to go to a bigger city, etc. I don’t do well with worry. Thank

Log in to post a reply

Apr 14, 2019 09:06PM Lea7777 wrote:

BB3312--the wait is the worst. I know! You could certainly get a second opinion, regardless of the outcome. I always think a second opinion is worthwhile. I have gotten them on 3 of my 4 biopsies.

As Momoschki stated, 80% of biopsies are not cancer.

Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)