Join Us

We are 217,521 members in 84 forums discussing 160,606 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Is HER2+ breast cancer as heritable as any other?

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Apr 7, 2019 11:42AM

Martha615 wrote:

I have a question about HER2+ breast cancer. I understand that HER2+ is "a breast cancer is a breast cancer that tests positive for a protein called human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2), which promotes the growth of cancer cells." (Mayo Clinic). Also, that it is not considered "inherited" as it is a somatic mutation so it takes place after conception.

Some years ago I think I read that having a relative with HER2+ breast cancer does not statistically increase one's chances of breast cancer or HER2+ breast cancer.

Does anyone know if this is still the current thinking? That having a relative with HER2+ bc does not increase your chances of bc?

Many thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Apr 8, 2019 04:40PM vlnrph wrote:

I think that it depends on how close the connection is, male or female - not the specific tumor pathology. BC in men is an indicator that genetic counseling may be helpful, to inform others of possible issues.

I can't imagine how HER status would factor in, except that triple negatives might have a mutation present. Usually it requires a couple of first degree relatives (parent, sibling, child) for insurance to pay for testing unless diagnosis is before age 45 -50. Also, family history of ovarian CA is a huge red flag...

You could pose this question on the FORCE website. Originally started by those with BRCA concerns, it stands for Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered.

IDC too! ๐ŸŽป๐Ÿ’Š๐Ÿ‘ช๐Ÿฉ ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿฆ‹ Rt MX+DIEP 4-2011; ALND 5-2011 d/t micromets; TC X 4; tamoxifen; lymphedema 9-2011; switch to letrozole 3-2014 for 1 yr; bone mets 8-2018: Zometa, rads to spine, Faslodex/Versenio Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 15, 2019 02:46PM Martha615 wrote:

Thank you. I believe that the HER2+ status is due to a mutation, but not a gremlin mutation, so is not hereditary but am still vague on whether the fact of bc is due to HER2 status in such a case.

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)