We are 224,960 members in 82 forums discussing 158,044 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone with ADH and later diagnosed with breast cancer?

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Sep 9, 2019 11:38AM

ElsaJ wrote:

I was diagnosed with ADH in my left breast last June. Had the lumpectomy last August and am on 6-month monitoring. First check up in March went well, they didn't find anything worrisome. Just had my 2nd follow up and the radiologist saw something in my right breast that he recommended biopsy. There are 3 spots that they are monitoring since last May. Two of the spots they cannot find (or they can no longer see this time). However, there is a small mass (less than 1 cm) that he found suspicious - hypoechoic with slightly irregular shape, vague shadowing, and no longer circumscribed. I wonder if anyone with ADH diagnosed and later found to have cancer in subsequent follow up. I also wonder if something that was probably benign before can turn into cancerous in 6 months. I am tired of worrying but want to be more informed

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Sep 9, 2019 01:26PM Lukesmom17 wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I was also recently diagnosed with ADH. I'm interested to hear what other women's experiences are. I don't blame you for being tired of worrying. My surgery is Friday.

Dx 7/12/19 ADH

Sep 9, 2019 01:57PM HopeWins wrote:

I don't know if this answers your question but I had a stereotactic biopsy which showed ADH, microcalcifications, etc but no cancer. Then, the pathology on my surgical biopsy showed DCIS. I ended up opting for bmx and the final pathology showed additional areas of ADH and a portion of the DCIS mass that remained. If my surgical biopsy confirmed ADH only, I also would have continued monitoring with MRIs. I had very dense breasts as well.

I'm not aware that ADH can turn into cancer but I think I read that benign breast conditions like ADH increase the likelihood of being diagnosed with BC vs women who do not have these conditions.

Sep 9, 2019 02:02PM Ingerp wrote:

I had ALH 10 years ago. The rest of my story is below.

Dx 3/11/2016, DCIS, Left, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 3/23/2016 Lumpectomy Surgery 4/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 5/18/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 3/2/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/13/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/18/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/20/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 9, 2019 08:35PM - edited Sep 9, 2019 08:36PM by farmerlucy

I had ALH and ADH, nearly twenty years of blue ribbon screening, and extremely dense breasts.

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)