We are 224,420 members in 82 forums discussing 157,743 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How many ADH/ALH who had lumpectomy but still got cancer later?

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Oct 24, 2019 10:17AM

Utahmom wrote:

Just curious to know how many of us diagnosed with ADH or ALH had the lumpectomy and/or additional meds to keep cancer away but got cancer even after the removal?

Page 2 of 2 (33 results)

Posts 31 - 33 (33 total)

Nov 7, 2019 11:55AM Utahmom wrote:

That's a lot of screening. I am already struggling with the every 6 months let's do another mammo. My 1st cousin did multiple screenings for years and numerous biopsies that read, benign hyperplasia, or something different but benign. She had at least 3 or 4 and then finally boom...Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage 2. She is doing well.

My other 1st cousin had invasive ductal carcinoma. Lump just showed up. Mammo fine before lump. She went in and there it was. Stage 1 and in some lymph nodes. She lost half her breast and did all the treatment. She is a 10 year warrior! She did say that she was concerned about me because she thinks there is a progression happening in my breasts. First, the microcalcifications that keep coming, then, the right breast hyerplasia, the the left breast with atypical hyperplasia associated with calcifications. She knows that I don't want to do the chemo pills.

But at what point and this is different for everyone to say, "I really don't want to do this anymore?".

As you all know, I am not going to do the chemo pills. My father-in-law just retired about 4 or 5 years ago. He was a surgeon. He said, " you save the big guns for the big battle." He did not think it was a good idea.

Really trying to weigh it all out.

thank you each for sharing your journeys and being honest.

Nov 8, 2019 09:47AM MaryScout wrote:

Hi All,

I had ADH and ADL, and decided right from the get-go to do a PBMX with diep flap (at NOLA). It's such a personal decision, and wherever anyone goes is a place that we support and appreciate. So I know that my decision is one that a lot of people wouldn't do, but for me, it was a great decision. I just didn't want the drugs, the monitoring, the many biopsies in my future, the anxiety, etc. My foobs are amazing, my recovery was smooth -- in short, I am so glad I took this route. But again, I know it's not for everyone. Feel free to DM me if you ever want to talk.

Warmly,

Mary

Nov 8, 2019 04:57PM Utahmom wrote:

You all are so brave, each in her own way and each with her own personal story to write and tell.

Thank you brave ladies. I am really soaking in all the life lessons that you are teaching.

God bless each of you!

Page 2 of 2 (33 results)