Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ADH without any more suspicious mammos

Options
khakitag
khakitag Member Posts: 19
edited January 2020 in High Risk for Breast Cancer

it seems like all I've been reading on here about ADH “surveillance" is women having frequent abnormal mammos, and repeated biopsies or excisions biopsies which sometimes remain benign or sometimes turn into DCIS or worse. The literature and pros tell us not to worry, that most ADH isn't upgraded upon excision, and doesn't progress to CA, but it's hard for me not to worry after reading so many discouraging stories. I'm seeing a BS this week about my discordant findings between my two mammos ( Birads 4C) and CNB (ADH). I know he's going to want to excise it to check borders and I'm not looking forward to getting on this merry go round. I was just hoping to hear of some positive stories like “ I had ADH, but never had any more abnormal mammos, or biopsies." Seems like there is so much conflicting info as to the treatment of it. Almost makes me just want to do nothing. Any thoughts?

Comments

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi Khakitag,

I think I’m the person you’re looking for. Dx’ed with ADH almost exactly 9years ago by stereotactic biopsy. Excisional biopsy found nothing else, so the needle biopsy got it all. Very tiny.

Since then I’ve been checked every 6 months by either mammo, ultrasound, or MRI. I haven’t needed anymore biopsies (fingers crossed- I’m superstitious...). You have to remember that most people who have no further issues tend not to hang around here.

I have taken a number of steps to try to ward off further trouble though. I’m taking Evista, a bunch of supplements, upped my exercise regimen, cut down on alcohol, and lost 25 lbs. I can’t say this dx hadn’t caused me some grief, but so far, so good.

• khakitag
    khakitag Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yay! That’s so encouraging and you bring up a good point... why would you hang around here if all is well? I’m premenopausal, and nervous about taking tamoxifen if it is suggested. I’m very healthy, lift weights, and a little below my ideal weight, so hopefully those habits will sustain me.