Join Us

We are 217,585 members in 84 forums discussing 160,639 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: BRCA 2

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Jan 28, 2020 11:41PM

cutiekate wrote:

Just got my genetic result today:

BRCA 2 POSITIVE: Likely Pathogenic Variant Detected

I am so devastated. I think I will go ahead with bilateral mastectomy, but I am not ready for ovary removal. I don't know if I can fully recover from such a radical surgery. I am still in shocked from my recent cancer diagnosis and now BRCA positive result...:(

Dx 1/10/2020, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 2/18/2020 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 3/17/2020 TAC

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jan 29, 2020 01:14AM MikaMika wrote:

You can't change this fact, so just accept it.

I believe no one tells you to remove your ovaries immediately. Just one step at a time. Don't think about your ovaries now. Your breast treatment is number one priority. Please, be strong and take care of yourself! You can do it!

P.S. I also have BRCA2 mutation.

Dx 8/2019, ILC, Stage IIA, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 29, 2020 09:56AM Yogatyme wrote:

I am BRCA1+ and was doing close monitoring of breast health. At dx of bc they recommended bilateral mastectomy bc the recurrence risk is 85% for both breasts. I’m not sure about the BRCA2 mutation but BRCA1 also increases risk of ovarian ca. As MikaMika said, take care of the breast issues now. However, once you get to a better place, seriously consider prophylactic oopherectomy as it is still a sneaky little beast that is most often very advanced by the time you have sx. I had prophylactic oopherectomy 6 mo before my bc dx and I’m glad I made that decision. Like every other bc pt, recurrence is always in the back of my mind, but I NEVER worry about ovarian ca. Oopherectomy is a pretty easy surgery.....a little tenderness for a few days. I only took OTC ibuprofen for about 2 days. Good luck and let us know how you’re doing.

Yogatyme Surgery 3/2/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 7/19/2019, IDC: Papillary, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Sep 16, 2020 03:01AM isee wrote:

I have the BRCA2 mutation. I had breast cancer 9 years or so ago. I refused the double mastectomy and opted for a lumpectomy and 16 radiation treatments. When I found out I had the mutation they told me I needed to have my ovaries/tubes etc. removed...I ended up having a complete hysterectomy as well. I have to say, if I could do it over, I would not have this surgery. Mainly because I think it has had a big effect on my weight (50lb weight gain), mood, sexuality etc. I have read that if you have your ovaries removed, you may gain weight because the body is able to produce estrogen from fat. Who knew...
It's a big decision and I'm not suggesting others should not do it, just do your research so you understand what you are getting into. No one told me anything about the side effects of this surgery and I was so shell shocked at the time that I guess I didn't want to know about it. :(

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Invasive Tubular Carcinoma - BRCA2+ Dx 2/9/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)