Join Us

We are 218,169 members in 84 forums discussing 160,928 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Need your opinions - Coronavirus and MRI

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Mar 14, 2020 05:14PM

jessie123 wrote:

My lumpectomy was a year ago - February 21st. The pathology showed not only ILC, but also LCIS. Also I have not taken the AI's. Other than that I'm considered pretty low risk. However the LCIS does make me high risk. I have to have a yearly MRI for the rest of my life --- I'm scheduled for Monday. My question is "should I wait until this coronavirus has died down?" I have the MRI at a women and children"s hospital so it's not really busy, but I will have no idea how many people have been on the machine before me. I am in the high risk group for Coronavirus. I waited 4 months for my original surgery so it seems that I should be able to put this screening test off another 4 months. My state just got it's first cases of virus, but they are already closing all public schools next week. We all know that there are many undiagnosed cases so really we have no idea how wide spread the virus is. I just don't know if I'm making a poor decision to put off the MRI. What do you think?????

Dx 11/2018, LCIS/ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/21/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/15/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (23 results)

Posts 1 - 23 (23 total)

Mar 14, 2020 06:14PM Betrayal wrote:

Since it is hospital based MRI their infection control practices will be higher than that of a private MRI source where infection control practices can be less stringent. I don't understand why the LCIS would make you a "high-risk" since you have opted not to take the AI's and your BC data doesn't seem to support this claim as "high-risk for coronavirus" since you are not MBC, elderly or apparently immunocompromised. If you have another underlying chronic disease or are immunocompromised this would also place you at higher risk.

So, if in doubt, I would reschedule if you have no BC signs at present. Personally, I would go for it because there is no guarantee that a 4 month wait will mean less risk. Due to a slow reaction on the part of the government, we are beyond the containment phase for coronavirus.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Mar 14, 2020 06:44PM jessie123 wrote:

Betrayal -- Thanks for your thoughts. I guess that I better call my surgeon on Monday morning to see what she says. When I say that I am high risk for BC recurrence it's because I have refused the AI's and also the LCIS will forever make me a higher risk. As far as coronavirus virus goes I am old (kinda) and I do have a mild lung disease that does not have to be treated. Luckily no other medical problems. I can not believe this is going on --- actually it's worse than getting ready for a hurricane. Thanks again for your thoughts -- maybe I should just get this over with.

Dx 11/2018, LCIS/ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/21/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/15/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 14, 2020 07:46PM LoriCA wrote:

Personal opinion? Since you aren't in a COVID-19 hotspot with things already going crazy, much better to get it done now while your hospital is still running at normal capacity with normal staffing if you can, than to count on being able to reschedule when they may be too busy dealing with coronavirus patients. Many doctors in major hospitals and cancer centers are canceling all standard follow-up visits, canceling all elective procedures, etc. My own cancer center even canceled our metastatic support group to protect us. If you are in a high risk group, they don't want you there unless you absolutely have to be there (like me for chemo). Even metastatic patients are being encouraged to skip a round of chemo if they can in locations where there have already been widespread outbreaks. And if this virus takes hold and infects a large percentage of the population, the hospitals will be overrun and we won't know when things might return to normal.

I'm sure they are maintaining strict disinfection procedures. Don't touch elevator buttons, door handles, etc with bare hands, don't sit close to other people or get on a crowded elevator, wash your hands before you head home (and again when you get home)...all the standard stuff.

A better answer if your appointment had been Tuesday instead of Monday might be to call and discuss your concerns with them. They would either let you know the practices they are doing to help keep you safe and encourage you to keep your appointment, or if they have concerns given your history they would encourage you to reschedule.

IBC Stage IV de novo - mets throughout skeleton (bones & now bone marrow), liver, dozens of distant nodes, chest wall/pec muscle, skin, tumor in brachial nerves, thyroid, polycythemia from bone marrow involvement Dx 9/8/2017, IBC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 9/25/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/5/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/25/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/29/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab)

Mar 14, 2020 08:25PM UpstateNYer wrote:

Jessie123, My MRI/mammogram is scheduled on March 24th and I plan on attending. It will be my first screening since being diagnosed in Feb. 2019. May I ask why you refused AI's? I am doing fine on anastrozole. Last year was a tough one for me. I had 3 surgeries, chemo, and rads. Good luck with your decisions. Pat😳

Into every life a little rain must fall Dx 2/6/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/8/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/20/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 4/2/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/7/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/6/2019 Lumpectomy Hormonal Therapy 9/4/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2019

Mar 14, 2020 09:49PM - edited Mar 14, 2020 09:52PM by jessie123

LoriCA -- I know - I've thought so much about the metastatic patients and also the stage 1-3 patients going through their treatment now. How absolutely terrible to be asked to put off treatment. Also, then with a compromised immune system to have to go back into a crowded cancer center. I've thought a lot about the current cancer patients. Last year at this time I had just finished surgery getting ready for radiation. I don't want the MRI to find anything because I'm not sure I could stand treatment again especially through this pandemic. I have no family so have to play this game alone -- although I have lots of friends, but that's still not family. Maybe I'm just scared that they will find something. My breast is too lumpy from radiation to know if I have a recurrence or not. I would much rather the virus testing be available before I go in. There are great numbers of people with the virus that don't know they have it. I'm going to call the doctor first thing Monday morning to see what she thinks. They are saying children may not show symptoms, but can be carriers and this is a hospital for women and children.

UstateNYer --- You were diagnosed the month I had my surgery. I was diagnosed in November, but didn't have surgery until the end of February 2019. They weren't in a hurry to get my active cancer out -- so maybe they will think the same way about the MRI. I refused the AI's because I already have osteopenia -- also have periodontal disease. My oral surgeon told me that if I'm on prolia (which I will be) I will have to be off Prolia for 6 months before he can pull a tooth. I can't figure out how someone can live with a toothache for 6 months. When I was in my 30's I took Lupron before a myomectomy (fibroid tumor removal). Later in my middle 40's I was diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis in my hips from that drug. My bone grew back slowly on it's own, but it took years. I have no doubt the Al's will cause Osteoporosis in my case. I'm older and alone. Do not want to break a hip. You had a hard time last year. Were all three surgeries for breast cancer? My Onco score didn't recommend chemo, but some say the Oncoscore is not as good with ILC so who knows.

Mar 15, 2020 07:36AM Yogatyme wrote:

Jesse, you are getting good advice here and at present it seems like a crap shoot for both going and waiting. Presently I would go to my bc center but absolutely would not go to our local hospital. My husband went to pick up his sister there last Wed and they had no precautions in place and the respiratory therapist said she wasn’t worried about covid 19 b/c she has been through it 2x before......really??? The local hospital has a long hx of poor infection control which is exactly why I chose to drive an hour and a half for my bc tx. My bc center sent out a long email last week about how they are managing with the virus So I feel they are being proactive and trying to protect pts.

Yogatyme Surgery 3/2/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 7/19/2019, IDC: Papillary, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Mar 15, 2020 09:28AM jessie123 wrote:

Yogatyme --- Yes, I agree the cancer centers probably are taking extra precautions. I would feel much more comfortable if this MRI was in the cancer center I use -- but unfortunately this MRI is next door in the large women and childrens hospital. It's unfortunate that we have to evaluate the safety of hospitals that we use, but it really is necessary. As my mind is fresh this morning I have pretty much decided to wait at least 3 months. I looked at the flu map this morning and it is still at it's highest level throughout the U.S. You know how they always tell us that our cancer had probably been growing for years before discovered -- I just don't think a 3 month wait will hurt. They are telling all people 70 and over to self isolate now -- I just turned 71. That respiratory therapist is educated and you would think she would be more informed --- that is really scary!!!!!!! We have to look out for ourselves.

Mar 15, 2020 09:51AM - edited Mar 15, 2020 09:53AM by JRNJ

why are you at higher risk with LCIS? Didnt you get it removed? Mine was very large 13 cm. My dr removed it But didnt seem to think it was a big deal and only focused on ilc. But also dumped that dr. Maybe because LCIS doesn't show in mammogram that's why they said it. I wish I was getting periodic mris. Depends on your age, but I'm 54 just finished chemo last week and I would go. I have radiation mapping next week and am bringing my daughter to a surgical procedure. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't worry about it that much. But if you're older I get it. I would worry about my father. A few weeks won’t make a difference if that makes you feel betterbut I wouldn’t put it off 4 months.

Pleomorphic Multifocal, Extra nodal Extension, Lymphovascular Invasion. TEs removed due to infection Dx 8/15/2019, LCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/15/2019, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/24/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/2/2019 CMF Radiation Therapy 3/30/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/4/2020 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/6/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/25/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal

Mar 15, 2020 10:26AM jessie123 wrote:

JRNJ ---- My LCIS was also found during surgery -- never seen on MRI etc. However, I had a lumpectomy so who knows if it's in the other breast or even more in the surgery breast. That is what makes me still at higher risk. That darn LCIS. However, my KI67 was around 5% according to oncoscore so that's good since my cancer was slow growing.

Mar 15, 2020 10:37AM Murphity wrote:

Definitely talk to your surgeon--s/he will help you quantify risk. We are cancelling all 'elective' things here--but what is 'elective' is a bit subjective :) As someone who lives in a coronavirus epicenter and is undergoing initial treatment, I have to make these stupid decisions every day and prep however I can. If you do go in, I'd practice the things that you probably already know: sit > 6 ft from everyone in waiting room, wash hands, bring sanitizer and your own pen, have a laundry bag ready to throw your clothes into and wipes for your shoes when you get home. I'd even ask the surgeon (and tech beforehand if you go) what steps they have taken to disinfect.

Dx 2/28/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IA, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Mar 15, 2020 10:49AM jessie123 wrote:

Oh Murphity how do you handle the stress of being in an epicenter and going through treatment at the same time. I have a good friend in Seattle who is self isolating and is about to have a nervous breakdown already since he has always been so social and active. Both epicenters are pretty educated and progressive cities so I'm sure your care is above the standard. I will pray for you

Mar 15, 2020 12:11PM Nana2-8 wrote:

My surgery is scheduled for April 14th.....(my choice to push it off) and now I am wondering what the hospital situation will be like....in a month....and if my surgery will fall under the "elective" zone. No one would be able to answer that at this time!

Dx 9/23/2015, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/14/2015 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 2/21/2020, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 15, 2020 12:21PM edj3 wrote:

jessie123 I've had my 6 month melanoma follow up visit on Friday (I will have those probably for the rest of my life), also got my Prolia shot on Friday, was seen by an NP Wednesday for a possible stress fracture in my foot (if it's there, it's too early to show on x-ray) and then today went to urgent care b/c I have hives where my Prolia shot was injected.

All of that to say, for me getting these check ups, shots etc. done is far better for my mental health than not. So I will also keep my follow up appointment with my MO's PA next Wednesday, my dentist appointment the week after that and my first round of post breast cancer treatment scans.

Obviously this may be different for you :)

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 15, 2020 12:41PM jessie123 wrote:

edj3 -- will you be having yearly MRI's? I wish I had been courageous enough to have had a BMX. Until the COV-19 testing is routine I don't want to go into the public if I don't have to since I'm in the high risk group.

Nana - I really can't imagine breast cancer surgery being considered elective. However, I guess if this pandemic becomes extremely severe they may not even have room in the hospital for many patients. Since you cancer appears early stage and ILC is usually slow growing maybe your oncologist will let you put it off for 4 to 6 months or so. Remember, mine was put off for 4 months because of all the surgery testing and waiting on appointments and my cancer was twice the size of yours. Can you talk to your Oncologist?

Mar 15, 2020 01:43PM gb2115 wrote:

I would probably still go. If there's no community spread yet in your area, the risk of catching the virus from an MRI is really low. The hospitals are screening everyone anyway. It's probably only going to get worse so consider getting it out of the way. Wash your hands after touching things. I'm sure they wipe down the machine between people, or at the very least they change the bedding.

Dx IDC in October 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Age 38 at diagnosis.

Mar 15, 2020 02:13PM edj3 wrote:

jessie123 right now my BS has ordered a diagnostic mammogram for the right (non-cancer) breast and an ultrasound for the left. I have a lot of discomfort in my left breast, probably a combo of scar tissue from the lumpectomy and radiation fibrosis so I was pretty clear when I saw him in October that there would be no mammogram on the left side.

I do have dense breasts so expect to get regular MRIs down the road.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/5/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 15, 2020 02:14PM BellasMomToo wrote:

I had my first 'routine' breast MRI last Thursday (3/12). I thought about cancelling/re-scheduling, but if the Covid-19 situation gets worse, who knows how long it would take to get another appt. My MRI was done at a hospital, but in the building where they only do scans and outpatient procedures. It was unusually quiet there. I'm confident they took the necessary precautions.

Fortunately my MRI was clear -- one less thing to worry about for now. ThumbsUp

Dx'd at age 56. Tumor found by my annual mammogram -- cancer can grow fast! Dx 10/6/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 10/6/2016, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR- Targeted Therapy 11/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 11/2/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/2/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 3/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left

Mar 16, 2020 08:05PM jessie123 wrote:

Edj3 -- Well, looks like you got a taste of 3 kinds of breast cancer. Luckily all were small. I'm straight ILC. You probably will be getting the MRI's because ILC really doesn't often show up on mammograms and sometimes not on ultrasound. I think most ILC patients do have to have MRI's. --- not fun

Bellasmom -- you're so lucky that you are done with it for a year. Wish I was.

Today was my appointment for the MRI, but I was so nervous (much more than usual) so I called my doctors nurse and talked to her about it. She said I absolutely can wait another 3 months or so. This coronavirus is what has me so worried - Even though my city doesn't have any confirmed active cases I know it's everywhere since the testing still takes a week and has really just started. The owner of one of our local hospitals told a friend that the virus is everywhere. The employees in another local hospital ( maybe all of our hospital) are already suited up.

Apr 1, 2020 10:46PM - edited Apr 1, 2020 10:47PM by wallycat

Jessie, I have not read through the other posts so apologies if I repeat anything.

You state you are at low risk, then you state high risk...perhaps I'm missing something in your post. You said you already had ILC, so what are you at low risk for? another breast cancer (primary or recurrence)?? or low risk for Covid-19??

HIgh risk...yes, if you have any lung issues, are on certain blood pressure medications, age, etc. can all put you at higher risk of complications from Covid-19, but there is no rhyme or reason to this virus and no way to determine who will react how. High risk for another cancer....well, we are all at higher risk once we have had it once, so that is where screenings come in.

I tend to think if you are not in a hot spot, to get the MRI sooner rather than later. The fewer people in the hospital now, the easier to get through the scans.

Best to you!

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Apr 2, 2020 11:35AM Salamandra wrote:

I'm in NYC, which is a hotspot now. What makes it a hotspot is that about two weeks ago, most people were going about their everyday business and busily sharing the virus. Now, those cases have incubated and the hospitals are overflowing.

If you are not in a hotspot, to me it says that you still have time and a chance to escape getting infected if you can be careful now. With your underlying conditions, I would definitely consider avoiding not only medical centers but everything that you can. My impression had been that ILC tends to be slower growing, but this is a risk assessment you should make with your doctor.

It makes me really nervous and upset that people in current less-impacted areas are taking that as a reason for being less careful. The good part about being (currently) less impacted is that if you had a genuine emergency (car crash, etc), the ERs would be able to take you and treat you because they have beds and personnel. But Corona-wise I don't know if there will be *any* non-hotspots left in two or three weeks, and if there are, we certainly don't know where they'll be.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Apr 2, 2020 01:45PM jessie123 wrote:

It's been a couple of weeks since I originally posted this question. My MRI apt. was scheduled on March 16th - I canceled it . A couple of weeks later we learned that an RN in the women's and children's hospital where the MRI is located tested positive for covid 19 -- she was diagnosed a week before my appointment. The babies she cared for were put into quarantine . I am so glad that I didn't go because I'm sure other employees at the hospital were exposed. It was even on CNN. I contacted the oncoscore people to get my Ki-67 score which they don't provide on their report. Turns out my ki-67 is low so hopefully waiting 6 months will be OK. It was another very hard decision for me to skip that test. However, I want to wait for the covid 19 treatments to be available (probably within the next 4 months) before I chance this virus. I also want more widespread testing - my city doesn't even have their testing available yet. Now I'm even more worried because New Orleans is just an 1 1/2 hr drive from us.

Wallycat - did I sound a little nervous (-: I meant my cancer recurrence was low based on my cancer itself - low oncoscore and Ki-67. However, since they found LCIS it puts me at a higher risk of developing another cancer in either breast. As far as covid-19 goes my risk is kind of high since I'm 71 and a former smoker. I don't have any other medical problems.

Salamanda -- Oh, aren't you terrified? Were you able to prepare in advance for being home bound? That 100,000 through 240,000 death projection was based on a New York city or New Jersey scenario. Have they given you any indication how long this will last for New York? You are right -- I have friends here still going to the grocery store too often. It's hard to grasp how some people seem oblivious to how dangerous this really is. If the medical community at least had some way to treat the virus it wouldn't be so scary.

Apr 2, 2020 02:23PM Beesie wrote:

Jessie, I've been reading your thread and scratching my head a bit. I do agree that you are high risk, but in thinking about it, I'm not sure that it's because of the LCIS.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Although your LCIS was found incidentally to your ILC, it's most likely that the LCIS developed first and was possibly present in your breast for years before the ILC developed and was detected. I'm just speculating on that, of course, but that is generally how LCIS operates. Having LCIS does increase the risk to develop breast cancer, and sure enough, you developed the ILC. So the LCIS has already had it's impact.

But here's the thing. Now that you've had breast cancer, that trumps any high risk condition you might also have. This is because anyone who has been diagnosed with breast cancer, DCIS or invasive cancer, is at higher risk to be diagnosed again with a new primary (which is totally separate from the risk of developing a recurrence). That's true for all of us. The studies vary about the degree of risk but my MO told me that having had breast cancer, I had about double the risk of someone my age who had never been diagnosed. This study seems to confirm that:

Second Primary Breast Cancer Occurrence According to Hormone Receptor Status
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC27209...

"For women whose first breast tumors were HR positive, risk of contralateral primary breast cancer was elevated, compared with the general population, adjusted for age, race, and calendar year (SIR = 2.22, 95% CI = 2.15 to 2.29, absolute risk [AR] = 13 cases per 10 000 person-years [PY]), and was not related to the HR status of the second tumor. For women whose first breast tumors were HR negative, the risk of a contralateral primary tumor was statistically significantly higher than that for women whose first tumors were HR positive (SIR = 3.57, 95% CI = 3.38 to 3.78, AR = 18 per 10 000 PY), and it was associated with a much greater likelihood of an HR-negative second tumor (SIR for HR-positive second tumors = 1.94, 95% CI = 1.77 to 2.13, AR = 20 per 10 000 PY; SIR for HR-negative second tumors = 9.81, 95% CI = 9.00 to 10.7, AR = 24 per 10 000 PY). "

Anyway, just food for thought, which doesn't change a thing about the fact that you are right to be diligent in getting checked. That said, I think you made a wise decision to pass on the MRI for in the current environment.

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Apr 10, 2020 08:31PM jessie123 wrote:

Bessie --- It sure made me feel good when you said that your agreed with my decision to wait on the MRI. I have always respected your opinion so it was a relief for me. I read the article you sent and it sure does say that HR positive people have double the risk of a second breast cancer. What a scary thought. I never thought I'd say this --- but I'm glad I'm old. Since I had a lumpectomy isn't there a good chance that I have more LCIS in the same breast or other breast which would put me at an even greater risk? I like to think my KI-67 score helps, but actually I wonder if that score is different throughout the tumor. My biopsy and the onco people both tested the KI-67 and gave me a score around 5%. However, the pathologist after surgery scored the Ki-67 at 11. That's twice as high so I wonder if the score varies in different parts of the tumor and the scores we get can't be trusted. Also, when I had my first biopsy the radiologist had to go in 8 times to get what he though was enough tumor -- the pathologist wasn't able to do Her2 testing because he didn't have enough tumor to sample --- his notes said " innumerable small pieces too small to test" So of course I worry about seeding. After that I immediately fired the hospital and moved to a teaching hospital. My radiologist said that the radiation takes care of any seeding but I'm not sure that I believe him. Sometimes, I wonder if the LCIS is hereditary. My maternal aunt and a maternal cousin from a different aunt both had breast cancer. Also, I know many members here disagree with me, but I do think that my drinking for most of my adult life had something to do with it. Still so many questions with no definitive answers. Thanks again for your support.

Page 1 of 1 (23 results)