Join Us

We are 218,061 members in 84 forums discussing 160,867 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: First MRI and got a call back!

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Aug 23, 2020 10:17PM

Mommabird wrote:

I’m so worried! Because of family history and a mutation on my ATM gene, I have a high risk of breast cancer. I had my annual mammogram on June 1 and it came back with no concerns. I just had my first MRI, which is part of my annual screening and my doctor called the next day and said that the radiologist recommended an ultrasound to get another look at my right breast. It came back as a bi-rad 0. My doctor said that I shouldn’t be worried and that she was “almost 100% sure it was nothing”. She said that because I am young, 38, that it wasn’t uncommon for a first MRI to have a callback because young breast tissue is more dense. Apparently there was an enhancement in that they wanted to get a better look at. I can’t help but worry. It’s consuming all of my thoughts and I spent my whole day on google. My ultrasound is on Thursday

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Aug 23, 2020 11:23PM MelissaDallas wrote:

Please don’t make yourself nuts over this. MRIs are very sensitive but also very nonspecific. They tend to generate lots of (benign) biopsies. Chances are they’ll get a better look with the ultrasound and say “see you next time.“ Even if they decide to biopsy they do that any time they think there is even a 3% chance you could have cancer, thus 70-80% of breast biopsies are benign. Lay off Google. It won’t tell you anything you don’t already know and will just make you more anxious

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Sep 2, 2020 05:14PM Tuc wrote:

Hi,

Hope for good news. I have dense breast tissue and am 58 yrs old. Unfortunately it can take decades to get the right answers to what has been going on with our breasts. For ex: my Mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2002( she probably had it for over 20 yrs). She passed away in 2004. I am learning that just because I have been experiencing many breast cancer symptoms and am at high risk-- that it can still take years to get a correct diagnosis. I am unemployed, uninsured and there are other factors too. However, I can't give up on the medical professi

onals-- one day I will get answers.

Sep 25, 2020 07:50PM Lilir wrote:

I have lived with the constant screening and worry since I was about your age.

I was offered tamoxifen at your age, and I refused it because it did not make sense to me to put my young, healthy body into menopause. Plus, the risk of uterine cancer.

Three years ago I went to see a breast surgeon, and I was all lined up to have a prophylactic mastectomy. I chickened out and went into full denial. Stopped the MRI from 2017 to 2020.

Now, I have a small mass in right breast that is IDC. I also have a mass in the left breast that was biopsied on Wednesday. Both are tiny and both were not seen on mammogram. Right was seen on ultrasound and left was not.

One thing I wish I would have known is that even of caught early, the diagnosis hurts. A LoT. I mean emotionally. Especially after years of screening and biopsies and a little fear with each scan. The other is that even caught early breast cancer can be one heck of a battle for a while.

No regrets... My two years of denial were bliss.

Good luck to you!!

Dx 9/21/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 9/25/2020, LCIS, Left, 1cm

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)