Join Us

We are 218,658 members in 84 forums discussing 161,163 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Wrong site biopsied!? Possible repeat biopsy

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Nov 19, 2020 07:33PM

Mimi820 wrote:

Has anyone been told that the area biopsied was discordant that was confirmed with mammogram after the biopsy was completed? I just had a stereotactic breast biopsy yesterday, and after the procedure the Doctor made a comment that the clip was not in the right place and she wouldn’t be surprised if she would have to do a repeat biopsy. So does this mean she got the wrong place because the report says it was more inferior and posterior than the clip placement.I haven’t gotten the official call yet, but just read the hospital report. If I have to repeat it, does anyone know how long I will have to wait? Obviously still recovering from yesterday..slightly sore and had some moderate bleeding after the procedure. Just can’t believe if I have to go back to do it again:(

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Nov 20, 2020 06:23PM Mimi820 wrote:

update: my surgeon called me today to confirm she did not biopsy the correct site:( so she gave me three options: 1) have stereotactic biopsy done by radiologist, 2) she could redo 3) excisional biopsy (she said she prefer not to do that if possible). I am going with number one at this point. To be honest, I was surprised there was no radiologist in the room at any time to review my mammogram before the procedure-not doubting the surgeons skills reading the mammogram-but makes me wonder. Just beyond frustrated to have to do this agai

Nov 20, 2020 06:43PM - edited Nov 20, 2020 06:44PM by Beesie

Mimi, sorry you didn't receive any responses to your initial post - I somehow missed it.

Discordant results happen, but usually it's when the biopsy pathology is inconsistent with the appearance on imaging. Most often what happens is a fully benign result versus imaging that appears highly suspicious. In these situations, an excisional biopsy is usually the next step.

Your situation is different, of course, since the surgeon simply biopsied the wrong spot. I'd be frustrated too. When people ask on this discussion board, I always recommend that biopsies be done by Radiologists rather than Surgeons. Imaging and biopsies are what Radiologists (who are doctors) train for and it's all they do. Imaging and biopsies are a sideline for Surgeons (usually done to add $ to their bottom line - but admittedly that's my bias talking).

I think that having a stereotactic biopsy done by a Radiologist seems reasonable.

Good luck! Hope your result is benign. Keep us in the loop!

“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke

Nov 20, 2020 07:07PM JRNJ wrote:

Mimi, So Sorry. I have a laundry list of mistakes throughout my process too. They almost biopsied the wrong spot, but I caught it. I had one biopsy, two holes pre mri. MRI showed much larger area so they recommended another biopsy, in the SAME spot. I told my surgeon the report was wrong and she didn't believe me. Of course a lowly patient can't read and compare reports. Then I went back to the radiologist and they admitted the mistake and amended the report. Then I had another biopsy with two more holes. I'm in NJ too!!! But my surgeon did not do the biopsies, I go to URG. But my feeling was, the more info the better to get a handle on it. And hopefully they missed it because it is really small. My father's girlfriend was just diagnosed, but the biopsy pathology is inconclusive but suspicious. I think they missed it, but were not as honest as your Dr. Good luck to you!!!

Pleomorphic Multifocal, Extra nodal Extension, Lymphovascular Invasion. TEs removed due to infection Dx 8/15/2019, LCIS, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/15/2019, ILC, Right, 2cm, Grade 3, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/24/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 12/2/2019 CMF Radiation Therapy 3/30/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 6/4/2020 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 8/6/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/25/2020 Prophylactic ovary removal

Nov 20, 2020 07:10PM Harley07 wrote:

I'm so sorry! I had a similar situation with an US guided CNB done by a radiologist which did not take sufficient tissue to make a determination. A week later I had a stereotactic biopsy done by a different radiologist at the same imaging center. She missed the suspicious mass by 2cm. So an an excision biopsy was needed a few weeks later. I requested that the radiologist who read the diagnostic mammo be the doctor to place the RF tag in the tumor prior to the excisional biopsy knowing the surgeon would remove whatever tissue was marked with an RF tag.

Hang in there. I know it's stressful, but it is so important to follow through.

Dx 11/10/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/20/2020 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Nov 20, 2020 07:22PM - edited Nov 20, 2020 07:27PM by Mimi820

Bessie-thank you for your response:) I agree about Radiologists to perform biopsies, especially now. I had a Radiologist do a core needle biopsy, but then followed up with a Breast surgeon because of my history (cysts, Fibroadenomas, etc). The surgeon then had me return for more imaging 6 months later and since then Ive had a stereotactic biopsy in the right (benign but had ADH). She performed that one. Now at my recent mammogram follow up they found new microcalcifications and asymmetry in the left:/ they recommend a stereotactic biopsy again. That was last Wednesday. I'm going with Radiology from this point on. Learned my lesson!

JRNJ-thank you also for your response! Interesting how you mentioned telling them they had the wrong spot. At the end of my procedure, the Dr made a comment at how it was difficult to place the marker because it was right under my skin?! I then said, hmm I thought the area was near my chest wall? (I remember the Radiologist who did my prior mammogram a month ago telling me that). At that point I wonder if she realized it was the wrong area. Today she made it sound like she was right in front of the area, however, the report says the suspiciousarea is more 'inferior and posterior'.

Thank you both for your support! Now I'm waiting to hear from the imaging center when I can schedule the biopsy because I just had one done two days ago-she mentioned because of bruising it may be hard for them to see

Nov 20, 2020 07:24PM Mimi820 wrote:

Thank you, Harley for your support! Sorry you had to go through that:(

Nov 24, 2020 05:43PM leaf wrote:

You've handled a lot already, and you'll be able to get through this too.

I totally agree with Beesie that biopsies are best done with a radiologist who does this all the time. I remember on one stereotactic biopsy, the radiologist did an Xray after the biopsy to see if he had removed the intended spot. He even did a jig when he found he had hit it.

I know I have spacial problems, so I do have some sympathy for trying to do something like fish blind in a bowl of jello, but I think you'll have better luck with a radiologist.

Best,

Classic LCIS.If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them- Isaac Asimov Dx 12/8/2005, LCIS, ER+/PR- Surgery 1/24/2006 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2006 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)