Join Us

We are 220,438 members in 84 forums discussing 161,930 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Imaging/screenings after prophylactic mastectomy

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Dec 28, 2020 12:07PM

Coelhinha wrote:

Hi everyone!

What’s the recommendation you’ve been getting concerning screening/imaging after preventative mastectomy? I’ve been hearing conflicting info, some say it’s not necessary for screening and others say I still need them since it’s not possible to remove all breast tissue...

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Dec 28, 2020 12:39PM Moderators wrote:

Coelhinha, welcome to our Community and thank you for posting! We're sure other members will be along shortly with their thoughts and advice. Until then, you may find this podcast helpful: Prophylactic Surgery for Women at High Risk: Part 1

We hope you will stay connected here, and we would love to hear more from you!

Best wishes,

From the Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Dec 28, 2020 03:55PM LivinLife wrote:

I had a BMX with SNB August 31. My understanding is no imaging though I have seen some report they have imaging - I think that is pretty uncommon though. I just count on manual exams and if there is any finding by me or one of my docs imaging will happen at that point. Gotta tell you though - I saw my OBGYN for my annual in Nov. and all he did was lift my gown part way pat my left underarm area where I had the SNB done and that was it! No manual exam in the breast/along the scar area at all. He was then at the other end of the table before I knew it! I know they are afraid I'm not healed yet (slow healer) so am chalking it up to that. I do wonder though if some of these male docs may be freaked out by no reconstruction.... going flat.... He even double checked if I planned on undergoing recon - nope due to autoimmune issues and he was ok - I've seen him for over a decade - he's a fairly sensitive guy...

I see my oncologist in March and would expect a manual exam then - will be my first since August - saw her telehealth in Oct. My surgeon has been on medical leave since my surgery - I feel for her and just want her well! She may be the one I'm following after the oncologist. I have another issue (non-cancer) brewing that may require continued follow-up with an oncologist however - my current onc wants me seeing someone locally (current onc 4 hours away) if I need to be followed by onc. Didn't mean to go into all of that though in case it helps anyone else....

Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Dec 28, 2020 08:28PM MinusTwo wrote:

Every doc is different. If you have a BMX, most never do scans again - just manual checks. My MO who has retired told me to fight for an MRI if I wanted one just for my piece of mind. On the other hand, I don't really what the contrast in my body very often. I've compromised with a radiologist who recommended ULS every two years - only because I have implants.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Dec 29, 2020 08:32AM Astrid1986 wrote:

Hi

I did the same procedure 8 years ago when I was 26. Hopefully bilateral prophylactic mastectomy reduces the risk up to 90 per cent.

As you said there are various arguments. To the best of my knowledge, it needs to be screened but not as frequent as those high- risks women who do not operate prophylaxis. It also depends on the type of mastectomy and reconstruction method you did and the extent to which the tissues have been removed. (save or removal of nipples, silicon or flap or just 3D tattoo?). I often request screening whenever I go for Ultrasound of the uterus and ovaries every 6-7 months.

Best wishes for you.

Dec 30, 2020 06:19AM CBK wrote:

All I receive are manual screening both by breast surgeon and MO.

For those of you that get ultrasounds does insurance cover the visit?

Dx 3/26/2017, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/11/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 7/22/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 1/25/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 2/18/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 4/9/2018 Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Silicone implant Surgery 9/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 4/3/2019 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction, Silicone implant

Dec 30, 2020 06:19PM MinusTwo wrote:

Medicare covers my ULS every other years but likely because I have implants.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)