Topic: MRI Guided Biopsy

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Aug 10, 2021 09:16AM

Posted on: Aug 10, 2021 09:16AM

Kbyrne81 wrote:

Hello! Due to family history I am in the high risk group with MRI/Mammogram every 6 months like most of you. I'm pretty new to this as I just had my first mammo in January and then an excisional biopsy in March. That biopsy was benign and showed a whole host of benign things like fibrocystic changes, PASH, gynecomastoid like changes, and other stuff. Well, I did my MRI in July which found a small, linear non-mass enhancement that will be biopsied in two weeks. I have not been worried about it but had an extremely anxious dream last night about the MRI guided biopsy (I couldn't stand laying still that long and busted out of the machine!). My questions for you are:

1. What was your experience like with the MRI guided biopsy? I've had an MRI so I feel like it would be very similar? Did it take a super long time? Was it hard to stay still?

2. If you have benign changes in one breast is it pretty safe to assume you have the same changes in the other breast?

Thanks for your input and support. It is great to know that I am not the only woman dealing with all these screenings and biopsies!

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Aug 10, 2021 09:41AM ctmbsikia wrote:

Hi. Best of luck with the biopsy and hope for another benign result.

I have had 2 MRI guided biopsy's. The 1st one on my right side went pretty fast as the area tested was the outer part of that breast. That came back as LCIS and it was excised at my surgery for the cancer side. My right breast has become very unremarkable ever since!!!!! The 2nd one was at or just near my lumpectomy site (11:00) and it took a little longer as they take picture first, pull you out then numb you and stick that needle in there (this one was painful but only for a minute) as they had to literally go thru the outer part of my breast to get to the 11:00 area. I think they took more pictures after but I can't really remember. Maybe it was just the mammo picture they took. This result was also benign (fat necrosis). Still on a 6 month cycle of MRIs because of it. Glad it's benign though. I always keep my eyes closed mostly and do whatever it is they ask me to do. Staying still is hard but I do it to get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible. Again, good luck to you. Let us know how you make out.

Dx 12/14/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/16/2018, LCIS, Right Surgery 1/31/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 4/11/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 10, 2021 06:41PM tpartrid wrote:

Hi kbyrne81

I had an MRI guided needle biopsy last month. I have to take Xanax just to get to the MRI. I did and it helped me. You can ask the doctor about getting a prescription for the biopsy if you are anxious. You cannot take it until you have signed all the paperwork once at the imaging center.

The radiologist first used a topical numbing gel/lotion, then a local. I could feel sensation kind of leaving my breast as it worked its magic. I have a very low pain tolerance, but like others, I wanted it over with, so remained still. I said ouch everytime I started feeling even a little pain and she immediately administered more lidocaine and didn't move forward until I was okay. She talked me through each step and played my ipad playlist in the background. That helped me so much. She took 15 samples, so it likely took longer than some. I think I was pushed into the MRI 3 times total. She said she sampled where the MRI said and then sampled where she "felt" she needed to sample. She also gave me her cell phone number so that I could call her from my vacation in case my doctor's office did not post fast enough. They did not post it, and I did call her. She was great and talked to me about the finding (adh) and the recommendation for surgical biopsy.

I couldn't lift over 5 pounds for 3 days according to doctor instructions. The first day I had to take 1 hydrocodone, but only once. I took either advil or tylenol regularly for the next 4 days, and then tapered off after that. I also used ice for the first couple of days.

So from a very anxious person with low pain tolerance, it is doable, and better to push through to get it over with.

Let us know how it goes!

Aug 10, 2021 06:43PM Kbyrne81 wrote:

Thank you, ctmbsikia! I'm glad to hear that your last biopsy was benign and hopefully that will be the last for you. Yes, I think closing eyes and staying relaxed is the key to making it through the MRI without feeling clausterphobic. I appreciate hearing about your experience!

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Scroll to top button