Topic: Chest CT Risks Please help

Forum: High Risk for Breast Cancer — Due to family history, genetics, or other factors.

Posted on: Sep 28, 2021 04:17PM

Posted on: Sep 28, 2021 04:17PM

Researchgal wrote:

I am BRCA1 positive but no breast cancer yet. Recently I had covid and a couple chest xray and a chest CT (which is like 70 xrays at once to my understanding) due to mild pnuemonia which had resolved by the time I had the CT. I didnt look up radiation risks till later and now I'm a little concerned this might have increased my already high cancer risk. I'm 38 btw. Any BRCA1 have similar experience or knowledge of this?

Page 1 of 2 (14 results)

Sep 28, 2021 11:24PM alicebastable wrote:

There are people on these boards who have several CTs a year. I've had about ten in the last three years and mine are nowhere near as frequent as what other people have had. Please try not to worry about one scan.

BCO is not trustworthy. Do not share personal information on this site. Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 29, 2021 08:38AM livinlife wrote:

2 CT scans are not risky. There is a lifetime accumulation set of guidelines for radiation - 2 CT's would be nowhere near that.... You're fine....

with expansive comedo necrosis & weak ER/PR Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right)

Sep 29, 2021 01:26PM Researchgal wrote:

This study seems to indicate there could be a problem with the BRCA1 gene more sensitive to radiation....thoughts on that? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435441/

Sep 29, 2021 02:18PM sondraf wrote:

You may want to ask over at FORCE as those are women with known genetic mutations and looking to be more informed about risks before diagnosis. There are likely to be more women in your position there than here who may have spoken to a medical professional about this.

I found out after diagnosis I was BRCA1 and no one has said anything about risks of radiation. Obviously that ship has sailed way over the horizon and I have to have CTs, but I do still have a healthy breast and they were concerned enough about the BRCA one status to agree to the ovary removal surgery.

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/29/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 translation missing: en.treatments.targeted_therapy.targeted_therapy_medicine.short_options.lynparza

Sep 29, 2021 02:29PM Researchgal wrote:

Thanks Sondra that is incredibly helpful. Reassuring to know you are BRCA1 and had no problems with the other breast. You did have a chest ct correct and how long ago was it if you dont mind my asking?

Sep 29, 2021 03:05PM sondraf wrote:

I was started with every 3 month CT scans as per usual protocol, but that got pushed out of whack almost immediately due to Covid. Its been about every 4 months in reality since diagnosis and current MO pushed my next scan five months due to strong response, so my last CT was in early May. I have also only had one nuclear bone scan, at diagnosis, where a radioactive tracer is injected into the blood stream. Spinal MRIs are of more use for me (thankfully!) and I have had quite a few. All told I have had six or 7 CT scans in the last two years, 4 of those before BRCA results.

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/29/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/29/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 translation missing: en.treatments.targeted_therapy.targeted_therapy_medicine.short_options.lynparza

Sep 29, 2021 03:32PM Researchgal wrote:

Sondra, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Sorry to ask for clarification only because this study I found had a 2 to 5 year time lag. Your specific body part for the CT was the chest correct, not the head neck etc? Also you stated you had 4 before finding out about BRCA1, how many years before that did you start having them? (If it was more than 5 it definitely questions the validity of this study). Thanks again for your time.

Sep 29, 2021 04:26PM gb2115 wrote:

Advice from an expert worrier--I would honestly not spend a lot of time or energy worrying about this. Risks of radiation exposure are truly over a lifetime, one scan will not make or break anything.

Dx IDC in Oct 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Mammaprint low risk luminal A, Lumpectomy + rads + tam. Age 38. 5/21 Dx IDC. 1.3 cm ER/PR+, Her2 -. Gr 2. Age 42

Sep 29, 2021 04:52PM hopeful82014 wrote:

There was a FORCE webinar today in which it was mentioned that BRCA 1/2 carriers did not seem to be anymore vulnerable to radiation damage than the general public.

But really, gb2115 and others are correct; a single CT scan is very unlikely to affect your chances of developing cancer.

Dx IDC, HER2-

Sep 29, 2021 04:58PM Researchgal wrote:

Thank you Hopeful, which Webinar is it do you know? The ABCs of cancer genetics?

Page 1 of 2 (14 results)

Scroll to top button